2021 British Ministry of Defence leaks
The soggy folder containing the soaked documents.
|Date||22 June 2021|
|Exposed||UK/Ministry of Defence|
|Description||A pile of 50 sensitive MOD documents are leaked.|
In 2021, a number of leaks occurred at the UK/Ministry of Defence.
On the morning of 22nd of June 2021, a member of the public found 50 pages of classified information in a soggy heap behind a bus stop in Kent, England. The person, who remains anonymous, contacted the BBC afterwards.
The documents contain heavily sensitive information from the UK/Ministry of Defence about the HMS Defender Crimea controversy, which started one day later.
In July, the Ministry of Defence ruled out foul play. They said it was down to human error.
It was later revealed that senior diplomat Angus Lapsley lost the documents. He was working as director general of strategy and international, responsible for defence policy on Nato and the Euro-Atlantic area but following the loss of the sensitive papers he was removed from “sensitive work” and had his security clearance suspended pending a full review. Around the same time, he was being considered as a candidate for the UK’s new ambassador to NATO.
During the Afghanistan/2021 withdrawal and the Evacuation from Afghanistan, one employee at the MOD was suspended after emails addresses belonging to 250 Afghan interpreters were leaked.
- ↑ https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/uk-news/2021/06/27/sensitive-ministry-of-defence-documents-found-by-member-of-public-at-bus-stop/
- ↑ https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1455078/royal-navy-news-defence-documents-leaked-russia-HMS-Defender-bus-stop-breaking-news
- ↑ https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/19/mod-rules-out-foul-play-after-discovery-of-secret-papers-at-kent-bus-stop
- ↑ https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2021-07-20/defence-papers-leak-at-kent-bus-stop-due-to-individual-error
- ↑ https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/mod-kent-crimea-nato-ben-mitchell-b949147.html
- ↑ https://inews.co.uk/news/ministry-of-defence-suspends-employee-accidental-leak-afghan-interpreters-details-1213536