| Joanna Cherry |
|Born||Joanna Catherine Cherry|
18 March 1966
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
|Alma mater||University of Edinburgh|
|Party||Scottish National Party|
Joanna Cherry (born 18 March 1966) is a Scottish National Party (SNP) politician. She has been Member of Parliament (MP) for Edinburgh South West since May 2015, and is the SNP Justice and Home Affairs spokesperson in the House of Commons.
Legal challenge to Brexit
|Postpone meaningful vote until the ECJ has ruled on the revocation of Article 50|
A legal challenge to Brexit, brought by Joanna Cherry and a cross-party group of Scottish politicians, took place at the European Court of Justice (ECJ) in Luxembourg on 27 November 2018. The ECJ is to decide whether Britain’s parliament can unilaterally change its mind on Brexit, and hopes to make a decision on the case before Christmas 2018. On 4 December 2018, she tweeted:
- "A massive vindication for myself @andywightman @AlynSmith @Ross_Greer @C_Stihler_MEP @davidmartinmep & @JolyonMaugham & our fantastic legal team. We are optimistic the full court will follow this ruling #Art50 #StopBrexit #PeoplesVote".
Questioning the PM
Joanna Cherry raised the case and the issue of revoking Article 50 with Theresa May in the House of Commons on 26 November 2018, prompting the Prime Minister to say that "it is not going to happen because it is not government policy".
Postpone meaningful vote
On 4 December 2018, during the first of Parliament's five days debating the EU Withdrawal Agreement and the Future Framework for relations negotiated by the Government with the European Union, Joanna Cherry called for the meaningful vote – scheduled for 11 December 2018 – to be postponed until the ECJ has ruled on the revocation of Article 50.
|Document:ECJ Advocate General says UK can revoke Article 50 unilaterally||Article||4 December 2018||Tony Connelly||Article 50 allows the "unilateral revocation of the notification of the intention to withdraw from the EU, until such time as the Withdrawal Agreement is formally concluded"|
- Birth certificate of Joanna Catherine Cherry, 18 March 1966, Edinburgh District 328/87 3849 – National Records of Scotland
- "List of Members returned to Parliament at the General Election 2015 Scotland". The Edinburgh Gazette. 15 May 2015. Retrieved 3 June 2015.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "plain text").
- "Edinburgh South West Parliamentary constituency". BBC. 8 May 2015. Retrieved 8 May 2015.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "plain text").
- "Scottish MPs in Westminster: The full list of the SNP parliamentarians". Ben Tufft. 8 May 2015. Retrieved 8 May 2015.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "plain text").
- Document:Legal Challenge To Brexit
- "A massive vindication"
- "Brexit court case 'could lead to disaster', EU lawyers warn"
- "Commons 'meaningful vote' on Brexit"
- "Joanna Cherry ECJ ruling HoC 04/12/18"