Jump to navigation Jump to search
1846 < 1847 < 1848 < 1849 < 1850 < 1851 < 1852 <1853 < 1854 < 1855 < 1856 > 1857 > 1858 > 1859 > 1860 > 1861 > 1862 > 1863 > 1864 > 1865 > 1866
|( 1850s: ) 1856|
The Second Opium War begins
|André Oscar Wallenberg started Stockholms Enskilda Bank, which lead to the Wallenberg family, which plays a key role in the Swedish deep state|
In 1856 André Oscar Wallenberg started Stockholms Enskilda Bank, which lead to the Wallenberg Financial Empire. This would evolve into the Wallenberg Family, a major component of the Swedish deep state.
- January 26 – First Battle of Seattle: Marines from the USS Decatur suppress an indigenous uprising, in response to Governor Stevens' declaration of a "war of extermination" on Native communities.
- February 18 – The American Party (Know-Nothings) convenes in Philadelphia to nominate their first Presidential candidate, former President Millard Fillmore.
- March 20 – Filibuster War – Battle of Santa Rosa: Costa Rican troops rout Walker's soldiers.
- March 24 –Taiping Rebellion: Suspecting treachery on the part of East King Yang Xiuqing, Shi Dakai garrisons Anhui and begins his march back to the Heavenly Capital, having defeated a strong Xiang Army detachment.
- March 31 – The Treaty of Paris is signed, ending the Crimean War.
- April – The Xhosa cattle-killing movement and famine begins in Cape Colony.
- April 16 – The Paris Declaration Respecting Maritime Law abolishes privateering, and regulates the relationship between neutral and belligerent and shipping on the high seas.
- May 20 – David Livingstone arrives at Quelimane on the Indian Ocean, having completed a 2-year transcontinental journey across Africa from Luanda.
- October 8 – The Second Opium War between several western powers and China begins, with the Arrow Incident on the Pearl River.
- October 13 – American mercenary William Walker effectively takes control of Nicaragua.
- November 1 – Anglo-Persian War: War is declared between Great Britain and Persia.
- November 4 – 1856 United States presidential election: Democrat James Buchanan defeats former President Millard Fillmore, representing a coalition of "Know-Nothings" and Whigs, and John C. Frémont of the fledgling Republican Party, to become the 15th President of the United States.
- November 27 – The Coup of 1856 leads to Luxembourg's unilateral adoption of a new, reactionary constitution, as King-Grand Duke William III signs the new constitution without the Chamber of Deputies' consent.
- December 1 – Under the County and Borough Police Act, in any county or area of England and Wales where a police force has not already been established, the Justices of the Peace must from this date take steps to create one according to nationally defined standards
|Crimean War||October 1853||February 1856|
|Credit Suisse||Big bank and asset manager|
|University of Maryland||The University s proximity to Washington DC has resulted in many partnerships with the federal government|
|Niagara University||Military ranks|
|Private Catholic university in New York State|
|Seton Hall University||Military ranks|
|Catholic university in New Jersey. Home of the School of Diplomacy and International Relations, founded with a need to "prepare the next generation of global leaders."|
|Auburn University||Alabama University with many military alumni|
|Title||Born||Place of birth||Died||Summary||Description|
|Robert Latham Owen||2 February 1856||Virginia|
|19 July 1947||Politician||Senate sponsor of the Glass-Owen Federal Reserve Act of 1913, which created the Federal Reserve System; which he later criticized as dominated by the largest banks.|
|Nikola Tesla||10 July 1856||Smiljan||7 January 1943||Researcher|
|Famous Serbian-American inventor|
|George Bernard Shaw||26 July 1856||Dublin|
|2 November 1950||Playwright|
|Richard Haldane||30 July 1856||Scotland|
|19 August 1928||Politician||Uk Secretary of State for War between 1905 and 1912 during which time reforms of the British Army were implemented, with the secret task of a European war.|
|Frank B. Kellogg||22 December 1856||New York|
|21 December 1937||Politician|
|Woodrow Wilson||28 December 1856||Virginia|
|3 February 1924||Politician|
Deep state functionary
|A tool of the US deep state.|