|Member of||European Council on Foreign Relations, Sigrid Rausing Trust|
Andrew Puddephatt, a campaigner for human rights, is Executive Chair of Global Partners Digital and Chair of International Media Support, a Danish-based NGO that provides emergency support to journalists in conflict areas.
From October 2004 to April 2008, he was a Visiting Fellow at the Centre for the Study of Human Rights at the London School of Economics. Prior to that he was Executive Director of ARTICLE 19, the international human rights organisation that promotes freedom of expression.
Andrew Puddephatt has been an expert member of both the Council of Europe and Commonwealth expert working groups on freedom of information and freedom of expression. He is also a member of International Steering Committee for the Bibliotheca Alexandrina database, a Norwegian-based project that documents the history of censorship in the world and an international Board member of the openDemocracy Centre in South Africa.
Between October 1995 and January 1999 he was Director of Charter88 which was the UK's leading constitutional reform organisation. Between 1989 and 1995 he was General Secretary of Liberty (aka the National Council for Civil Liberties). In both capacities he played a leading role in securing a Bill of Rights for the UK. This was agreed in 1998 after eight years campaigning and took effect in October 2000.
In January 2003 he was awarded an OBE for services to human rights.
- 'Legislating Liberty: The Case for A Bill of Rights' - Journal of Legislative Studies - edited Professor Phillip Norton, Hull University; Volume 1 1996
- 'Incorporating the European Convention on Human rights' Published in Human Rights: an agenda for the 21st Century edited by Angela Hegarty and Siobhan Leonard, Cavendish Publishing Ltd 1999
- Freedom of expression, Association and Assembly published by the Commonwealth Secretariat August 2003
- Post conflict intervention working paper produced for UNESCO and Swedish Development Agency May 2003
- The Right to Information - Practical Guidance note - UNDP July 2004
|This is a page stub. Please add to it.|