| Baghdad University |
|Motto||وقل رب زدني علما|
|An assassination campaign tried to eliminate its top academics|
The University of Baghdad (UOB) (Jāmi'at Baghdād) is the largest university in Iraq and the second largest in the Arab world, behind the University of Cairo. Being a intellectually lively place in the 1970s, it experienced a distinct chill during the Saddam Hussein years, before suffering a large brain drain during the 1990s sanctions and covert warfare, the 2003 Iraq War and the following occupation.
In the decade following the 2003 US occupation, several dozens of the university's people were assassinated or forced to flee the country, as part of an attempt to eradicate the intellectual and scientific base in the Arab country. Likely suspects include Mossad and the CIA.
The more than 300 killings nationwide led to an exodus of engineers, computer scientists and mathematicians. "There is a kind of campaign to make physicians leave the country," an official at the Iraqi Ministry of Education stated.
Alumni on Wikispooks
|İhsan Doğramacı||3 April 1915||25 February 2010||Turkey||Academic|
|Turkish doctor and university administrator|
|Issam Sartawi||1935||10 April 1983||Diplomat|
|Abdurrahman Wahid||7 September 1940||30 December 2009||Politician|
|Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi||1968||Iraq|
|The purported source of the lies about Saddam Hussein's WMDs.|
- ↑ https://www.topuniversities.com/universities/university-baghdad%7Ctitle=University of Baghdad|date=16 July 2015|work=Top Universities|access-date=26 September 2018|language=en}}
- ↑ https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2005-01-16-academics-assassinations_x.htm
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20130323192045/https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2005-01-16-academics-assassinations_x.htm
- ↑ https://iraqsnuclearmirage.com/Media/Plight_of_Iraqi_Academics.pdf
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20080705125811/http://www.iraqsnuclearmirage.com/Media/Plight_of_Iraqi_Academics.pdf