Board of Deputies of British Jews
|Board of Deputies of British Jews|
According to its own account:
- The Board of Deputies has been served throughout its history by individuals not only active in community affairs, but in other spheres of public life. Moses Montefiore stands as the single most prominent figure, but other notables include Sir Philip Magnus, Judge Neville Laski, Professor Selig Brodetsky, Lucien Wolf, Lord Barnett Janner, Michael Fidler, Lord Fisher and Lord Greville Janner. Officers of the Board have always represented Jewish interests at the highest level.
- The history of the Board of Deputies has not always been a peaceful one either in its relations with the world at large or within the British Jewish community. There have been controversies about its structures and procedures; controversies over representation from the Orthodox and Liberal sides of the community; and controversies over Zionism and Israel’s politics. The ongoing problems which Israel has with her Arab neighbours have presented difficulties for the Jewish Diaspora. There have been clashes with other communal groups over policy and of course full and frank dialogue with non-Jewish individuals and organisations. Lively debate on virtually every subject has been a constant feature.
At a BoD dinner in 2007, Gordon Brown is reported to have said that “Israel will always have our support. We will be a friend in good times and bad and we will never compromise our friendship for political expediency.”.
Meeting with American Jewish Committee
In 2006, the American Jewish Committee (AJC) report a meeting with the Deputies of British Jews in 'an effort to strengthen AJC’s ties to British Jewry'
The report states that:
- 'AJC President E Robert Goodkind led a leadership delegation to London to meet with the Board of Deputies of British Jews, the main community organizing body for British Jews, as well as with the Community Service Trust and the newly formed Jewish Leadership Council. The group also met with British Chief Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, longtime Jewish community leaders Lord Greville Janner and Sir Trevor Chinn, and with leadership from the Reform, Liberal and Conservative Masorti movements. In addition, the group held meetings with those Members of Parliament who initiated a serious parliamentary investigation of anti-Semitism, and with younger leaders of Conservative Friends of Israel and Labour Friends of Israel. AJC Board members Stanley Bergman and Peter Rosenblatt joined Goodkind on the mission.
|Document:Corbyn and the Jews||article||15 December 2016||Gilad Atzmon||Commentary on the February 2016 meeting between Jeremy Corbyn and the leadership of the Board of Deputies of British Jews|
|Document:Enough is Enough: What would Mandela have said||Article||28 March 2018||David Rosenberg||If the Board of Deputies and the Jewish Leadership Council want to belatedly take a stand against all racism, they might want to look instead at groups such as the Traditional Britain Group attached to the Conservative Party who are promoting white supremacism and state-assisted repatriation of immigrants to their “natural homelands”|
|Document:Gaza massacre should be a turning point for British Jews||blog post||16 May 2018||Aron Keller||The 2018 Gaza Massacre represents a turning point which eliminates any existing moral ambiguity around Israel’s treatment of the Palestinians. The sheer scale of the bloodshed makes the cognitive dissonance required for any decent individual to absolve Israel of culpability too difficult to sustain.|
|Document:Israel Stooges Freak Out over Baroness Jenny's Remarks - Again||Article||3 November 2018||Stuart Littlewood||Baroness Jenny Tonge: "The Pittsburgh synagogue shooting was an absolutely appalling and a criminal act, but does it ever occur to Bibi and the present Israeli government that its actions against Palestinians may be reigniting anti-Semitism? I suppose someone will say that it is anti-Semitic to say so?"|
|Document:LAZIR condemns persecution of prospective Member of Parliament by Israel lobby groups||Article||3 June 2019||Nureddin Sabir||LAZIR described the attacks on Lisa Forbes by the Board of Deputies of British Jews, the Jewish Leadership Council, and the Israeli secret service-linked Community Security Trust as “outrageous”.|
|Document:Labour & ‘anti-Semitism’: Real goal of establishment smear campaign is to deny socialists power||Article||23 April 2019||Ken Livingstone||After three years of screaming headlines, the truth about anti-Semitism in the Labour Party is finally revealed: just 0.08 percent of Labour’s half-a-million members have said or tweeted something anti-Semitic|
- About us, accessed 14 July 2008
- The Jewish Chronicle JC Power 100: Sacks stays on top, as new names emerge. 9th May 2008. Accessed 16th August 2008
- American Jewish Committee London Jewish Community Greets AJC President Update 236, 20th December 2006. Accessed 21st August 2008
- Rocker, S. (2006) 'Bicom: the rich and powerful'. The Jewish Chronicle. 22nd June 2006