| Bruce Hoffman |
|Alma mater||Oxford University, Connecticut College|
|Founder of||Centre for the Study of Terrorism and Political Violence|
|Member of||Council on Foreign Relations/Members, The American Academy in Berlin/Distinguished Visitors|
Bruce Hoffman is currently Director of the Center for Peace and Security Studies, Director of the Security Studies Program, and a tenured professor at Georgetown University’s Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Washington, DC. Professor Bruce Hoffman has been studying "terrorism" and insurgency for more than thirty years.
Professor Hoffman holds degrees in government, history, and international relations and received his doctorate from Oxford University. He is a Senior Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Washington DC; a Senior Fellow at the Combating Terrorism Center, U.S. Military Academy, West Point, NY; a Visiting Professor at the Institute for Counter-Terrorism, Interdisciplinary Center, Herzliya, Israel; and, a Visiting Professor at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. Professor Bruce Hoffman was previously a Scholar-in-Residence for Counter-terrorism at the Central Intelligence Agency between 2004 and 2006, also an adviser to the Iraq Study Group. He is Editor-in-Chief of Studies in Conflict and Terrorism, the leading scholarly journal in the field and a member of the advisory boards of Terrorism and Political Violence and the Review of International Studies. He is also editor of the new Columbia University Press Series on Terrorism and Irregular Warfare. During his sabbatical leave for the 2009/2010 academic year, Professor Hoffman was a Visiting Fellow at All Souls College, Oxford University for Michaelmas Term (first semester) 2009 and a Public Policy Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington, DC for the second semester. He was the S. Rajaratnam Professor of Strategic Studies at Nanyang Technological University Singapore for the 2009/2010 academic year.
- Hoffman, Bruce. (2006) "Inside Terrorism." Columbia University Press
- Hoffman, Bruce. (2004) "Insurgency and counterinsurgency in Iraq" Rand Corporation. National Security Research Division.
- Hoffman, Bruce. (2003) "The Logic of Suicide Terrorism" Rand Corporation. The Atlantic Monthly
- Hoffman, Bruce. (1995) " Holy Terror": The Implications of Terrorism Motivated by a Religious Imperative Rand Corporation. Studies in Conflict and Terrorism.
- Academic ProfileFACULTY & STAFF, Georgetown University,7 February 2009