|File:Location Cape Verde AU Africa.svg|
|Formation||5 July 1975|
|Location||West Africa, Africa|
|Member of||African Union, La Francophonie, Organisation of African Unity, UN|
|African island nation. Independence from Portugal in 1975.|
Cape Verde is a small island nation off West Africa. Its location makes it an ideal hub for illegal cocaine smuggling from South America to Europe.
"By the 1990s, Cape Verde had become a hub for fast-growing narcotics traffic, echoing its past importance as a trans-Atlantic staging post for the slave trade, ocean-going steamers and early commercial aviation. Its jagged coastlines and 300,000 square-mile maritime zone resemble a smugglers’ paradise."
2019 Cape Verde Drug bust
In 2019, 11 Russian sailors were arrested after Cape Verde police found 9.5 or 9.6 tons of cocaine after their Panama-flagged vessel docked at the port of Praia for legal reasons following the death of a crew member.
This is reported to have an estimated value of $720 million, or the equivalent of 41 percent of Cape Verde’s annual GDP.
- ↑ https://www.reuters.com/article/us-capeverde-drugtrafficking-idUSKBN0TJ0YP20151130
- ↑ https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6658191/Cape-Verde-seizes-record-cocaine-haul-Russian-ship.html
- ↑ https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-capeverde-drugs/cape-verde-seizes-record-cocaine-haul-from-russian-ship-idUKKCN1PQ59B
- ↑ https://www.dw.com/en/cape-verde-seizes-95-tons-of-cocaine-russian-sailors-arrested/a-47335072
- ↑ a b https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-13/record-cocaine-busts-mark-west-africa-s-comeback-as-transit-hub
- ↑ https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-sailors-arrested-alleged-cocaine-seizure-cape-verde-africa/29747197.html