| Claudia Webbe |
|Born||Claudia Naomi Webbe|
Claudia Webbe was formerly the chair of the Metropolitan Police Operation Trident, having participated in its development in the mid-1990s. She is a Councillor in the London Borough of Islington, and was a member of the National Executive Committee of the Labour Party from 2016 to 2019, when she was elected to Parliament.
Webbe wrote in defence of Livingstone when, on 24 February 2006, he was found guilty by the Standards Board for England's Adjudication Panel of bringing his office into disrepute and suspended from office for four weeks, due to his comparison of a Jewish Evening Standard reporter to a Nazi concentration camp guard. In her letter to The Guardian, Webbe emphasised the anti-racism organisations Livingstone had represented, and stated that "his history of work in the anti-racist movement is unquestionable." Livingstone's suspension was later overturned by the High Court.
She was elected to Islington London Borough Council in 2010 as part of the Labour majority controlling the council, representing Bunhill ward, and re-elected in 2014, and 2018. She is the council's executive member for environment and transport.
In 2016, Claudia Webbe was elected to the Labour Party's National Executive Committee (NEC), finishing third in the ballot with 92,377 votes. She is a supporter of Jeremy Corbyn. In 2018, Webbe was shortlisted to become the Labour candidate in the Lewisham East by-election, but finished third in a vote among local party members and was not selected.
Criticism of Tom Watson
On 12 July 2019, Claudia Webbe joined calls for Tom Watson to ‘consider his position’ as Deputy Leader of the Labour Party after he publicly trashed his colleague and Labour General Secretary Jennie Formby, who is undergoing chemotherapy treatment for cancer.
- "Claudia Webbe - Guardian profile"
- "Who’s who on Labour’s National Executive Committee?"
- "Mayor rapped for Nazi guard jibe"
- "Letters: ...and the problem with Ken's sentence"
- "Bunhill Ward"
- "Claudia Webbe elected chair of Labour's disputes panel"
- "Corbynsceptics sweep the board in Labour’s ruling body by-elections"
- "Tom Watson: you should consider your position"
- "Tom Watson writes to Labour's General Secretary over Panorama on anti-Semitism"
- "A Labour exec calls for Tom Watson to ‘consider his position’ after he attacks a colleague undergoing chemotherapy"