Comparing Israel to Nazism
On 1 August 2018, the BBC reported:
Labour's Jeremy Corbyn has apologised for appearing on platforms with people whose views he "completely rejects". Mr Corbyn's statement was in response to The Times reporting that he hosted an event in 2010 at which a Holocaust survivor compared Israel to Nazism.
- "The world was absolutely wrong to think that Nazism was defeated in 1945. Nazism has won because it has finally managed to Nazify the consciousness of its own victims."
Mr Corbyn said views were expressed which he did not "accept or condone":
- "In the past, in pursuit of justice for the Palestinian people and peace in Israel/Palestine, I have on occasion appeared on platforms with people whose views I completely reject. I apologise for the concerns and anxiety that this has caused."
Hajo Meyer's House of Commons talk was entitled "The Misuse of the Holocaust for Political Purposes".
Labour MP Louise Ellman told BBC Newsnight she was "absolutely appalled" to hear about Mr Corbyn's involvement.
The Labour leader's apology came after one of his supporters in the party's National Executive Committee suggested that Jewish "Trump fanatics" were behind accusations of anti-Semitism in Labour ranks.
The title of Auschwitz survivor Hajo Meyer's talk on Holocaust Memorial Day in 2010 was "The Misuse of the Holocaust for Political Purposes".
Ironically, if he were still alive, Meyer could use the exact same title for a talk about the anti-Corbyn witch-hunt of 2018.
|Document:The American Jewish scholar behind Labour's "antisemitism" scandal breaks his silence||Interview||3 May 2016||Norman Finkelstein|
|Norman G. Finkelstein is clear: "It’s time to put a stop to this periodic charade, because it ends up besmirching the victims of the Nazi holocaust, diverting from the real suffering of the Palestinian people, and poisoning relations between the Jewish and Muslim communities. You just had an antisemitism hysteria last year, and it was a farce. And now again? Another inquiry? Another investigation? No."|
- "Jews sans frontieres: In Memoriam: Dr Hajo Meyer". Jewssansfrontieres.blogspot.com. Retrieved 9 September 2016.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "CSS").
- Verhey, Elma. "Interview – Hajo Meyer". Tribune, Socialist Party (Netherlands). Retrieved 2 May 2010.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "CSS").
- "Jeremy Corbyn hosted event likening Israel to Nazis"
- "Jeremy Corbyn apologises over 2010 Holocaust event"
- "Meyer could use the exact same title for a talk about the anti-Corbyn witch-hunt of 2018"