| Lord Kerr |
Grantown-on-Spey, Scotland, United Kingdom
|Member of||Bilderberg/Steering committee, Königswinter/Speakers|
Scottish businessman and diplomat, attended all Bilderbergs from 2004 up to 2016
John Olav Kerr, Baron Kerr of Kinlochard is a Scottish politician and former diplomat, later Deputy Chairman of Scottish Power and a crossbench member of the House of Lords. He was a member of the Convention on the Future of Europe that first drafted what became Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, which came into force in December 2009.
He joined the Foreign Office in 1966 and was posted as Third later Second Secretary to Moscow in 1967; Second Secretary (Econ) Rawalpindi/Islamabad 1969; First Secretary 1971; FCO 1972; Private Secretary to the PUS 1974; Counsellor and Head of DM Division HM Treasury 1979; PPS to the Chancellor of the Exchequer 1981; Counsellor and Head of Chancery Washington 1984.
Brexit is reversible
- “At any stage we can change our minds if we want to, and if we did we know that our partners would actually be very pleased indeed. The Brexiters create the impression that is because of the way Article 50 is written that having sent in a letter on 29 March 2017 we must leave automatically on 29 March 2019 at the latest. That is not true. It is misleading to suggest that a decision that we are taking autonomously in this country about the timing of our departure, we are required to take by a provision of EU treaty law.”
- “That’s what I’m saying, one should bear in mind that it is always possible at a later stage to decide that we want to do something different. It is entirely up to the Prime Minister to set a date for our departure. My point is quite a different one. These decisions are taken entirely in this country, they have nothing to do with the treaty. As far as the treaty is concerned there are lots of options. There is a provision to seek some extra time for negotiation and, much more important, there’s the ability at any stage to take back the letter that the Prime Minister sent to President Tusk on 29 March 2017."
- “The David Davis quote I would offer you comes from 2012 when he said:
- ‘A democracy that has lost the right to change its mind has ceased to be a democracy.’
- “I’m not a politician. I’m just the guy who wrote the treaty telling you what the treaty means.”
Kerr claimed that circumstances had changed since the referendum:
- “It is open to us to argue that the terms as they emerge are not quite the ones that we were led to expect: that the costs of coming out are rather different from what it said on the side of the battlebus; that the complexity of coming out was not entirely explained and the effects of coming out on, for example, the NHS or jobs, these things are not what the electorate knew about at the time. If new facts emerge one is entitled to change one’s view, as Keynes said. I’m not today arguing for a second referendum, I’m saying if we wanted to have a second referendum there is nothing in the treaty, or in the attitude of EU partners, that would prevent us taking the time to have one.”
John Kerr is a member of the Bilderberg Steering Committee.
Events Participated in
|Bilderberg/2004||3 June 2004||6 June 2004||Italy|
|Bilderberg/2005||5 May 2005||8 May 2005||Germany|
|Bilderberg/2006||8 June 2006||11 June 2006||Canada|
|Bilderberg/2007||31 May 2007||3 June 2007||Turkey|
|Bilderberg/2008||5 June 2008||8 June 2008||US|
|Bilderberg/2009||14 May 2009||17 May 2009||Greece|
|Bilderberg/2010||3 June 2010||6 June 2010||Spain|
Hotel Dolce Sitges
|Bilderberg/2011||9 June 2011||12 June 2011||Switzerland|
|Bilderberg/2012||31 May 2012||3 June 2012||US|
|Bilderberg/2013||6 June 2013||9 June 2013||Watford|
|The 2013 Bilderberg group meeting.|
|Bilderberg/2014||29 May 2014||1 June 2014||Denmark|
|Bilderberg/2015||11 June 2015||14 June 2015||Austria|
|Bilderberg/2016||9 June 2016||12 June 2016||Germany|
|The 2016 Bilderberg meeting took place in Dresden, Germany.|
- "The Treaty of Lisbon fact sheet"
- The Diplomatic Service List (1989), page 226
- "Brexit is reversible even after date is set, says author of Article 50"