|Date||7 July 2021|
|Witnessed by||Martine Moïse|
|Description||The assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moïse.|
On 7 June 2021 the President of Haiti Jovenel Moïse was assassinated by gunmen posing as DEA agents. His wife Martine was severely injured. This is classed as a structural deep event rather than a mid-level deep event not only because it involved a head of state, but also because of its relevance to COVID-19, since Moïse was apparently refusing to push COVID-19 vaccines.
26 of the 28 suspects were from Colombia, most of them former soldiers, some hailing from elite units. The other two were American citizens of Haitian descent. At least one is a former Drug Enforcement Administration informant and at least 7 have received U.S. military training.
At the end of June, CIA director William Burns arrived in Colombia "to participate in a series of "delicate and important" meetings, as part of the “cooperation” between the two countries. The Colombian ambassador in Washigton, Francisco Santos, reported on the arrival of the CIA director, however Santos did not want to provide additional details about Burns’ visit. “I prefer not to tell you it is a delicate mission, an important mission in terms of intelligence, that we managed to coordinate,” Santos replied obliquely when asked about the mission.
Thomas Gast argues that local elites, under the guidance of the old colonial power, France, organized the assassination.
The First Lady Martine Moïse was seriously wounded in the attack. She was sent to a hospital in Miami. On 10 July, she posted an audio message to her Twitter account, saying her husband was killed in a well-planned attack by a group of "highly trained and heavily armed" individuals.
The Official Culprit
- ↑ https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-57834681
- ↑ https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/haiti/article252742868.html
- ↑ https://theintercept.com/2021/07/16/haiti-assassination-colombia-us-military/
- ↑ https://twitter.com/i/status/1409677584888176641
- ↑ https://orinocotribune.com/cia-director-arrives-in-colombia-to-lead-sensitive-security-mission-venezuela-on-alert/
- ↑ (in German) War Haitis Präsident Opfer der Geheimdienste?