Manuel Campos Sánchez-Bordona
|Manuel Campos Sánchez-Bordona|
Manuel Campos Sánchez-Bordona (born 1950) is the Advocate General at the European Court of Justice since 7 October 2015.
Manuel Campos Sánchez-Bordona graduated in law from the Universities of Seville and Grenada (1967-72); Public Prosecutor at the courts of Palma de Mallorca and Seville (1977-82); Judge in the Chamber for Contentious Administrative Proceedings of the High Court of Justice of Andalucia, of the National High Court and of the High Court of Justice of the Canaries (1982-89); President of the Chamber for Contentious Administrative Proceedings of the High Court of Justice of Cantabria (1989-94); Legal Secretary at the Court of Justice of the European Communities (1995-99); Member of the Board of the Association of Councils of State and Supreme Administrative Jurisdictions of the European Union (ACA-Europe) (2006-14); Member of the Central Electoral Board (2012-15); and Judge in the Administrative Chamber of the Supreme Court of Spain (1999-2015).
Revocation of Article 50
Following an emergency hearing that was held on 27 November 2018 when the European Court of Justice was asked to decide whether Article 50 can be reversed unilaterally, the Advocate General Manuel Campos Sánchez-Bordona delivered his Opinion in the case (C-621/18 Wightman on revocation of Article 50) on 4 December 2018. In his Opinion, Article 50 allows the "unilateral revocation of the notification of the intention to withdraw from the EU, until such time as the Withdrawal Agreement is formally concluded". The Luxembourg Judges, who follow the AG's Opinion in 80% of cases, are expected to deliver their ruling relatively quickly, given the urgency of the issue.
|Document:Legal Challenge To Brexit||Article||27 November 2018||The UK can stop the Brexit process unilaterally, without the consent of the other 27 EU Member States|
- "Court of Justice: Manuel Campos Sánchez-Bordona"
- "Brexit: court rejects attempt to derail article 50 hearing"
- "Advocate General Campos Sánchez-Bordona will deliver his Opinion at a date to be announced"
- "OPINION OF ADVOCATE GENERAL CAMPOS SÁNCHEZ-BORDONA"
- "ECJ Advocate General says UK can revoke Article 50 unilaterally"
- "Advocate General opinion is endorsed by the full judgement of the ECJ in 80pc of cases"
- "European court to rule on whether article 50 can be reversed"