| Maurice Lippens |
|Born||9 May 1943|
|Alma mater||Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Harvard Business School|
Belgian banker who attended the 2000, 2002 and 2006 Bilderbergs. Trilateral Commission. Relieved of his position when the bank he managed was sold in parts during the financial crisis of 2008.
Maurice Robert Josse Marie Ghislain, Count Lippens is a Belgian businessman and banker. He is the grandson of Maurice Lippens (1875) and brother of Leopold Lippens, mayor of Knokke-Heist. He attended the 2000, 2002 and 2006 Bilderbergs, and was a member of the Trilateral Commission. He was relieved of his position when the bank he managed was sold in parts during the financial crisis of 2008.
Maurice Lippens obtained a doctorate in law from the Universite Libre de Bruxelles (ULB) (Brussels, Belgium) in 1967, and an MBA degree from the Harvard Business School (U.S.) in 1972.
Maurice Lippens started his professional career in South Africa to assist with the reorganisation of the Maatschappij voor Zeevisserij where he stayed for five months, and then did his military service in the Belgian army.
Afterwards, he went through an apprenticeship at the Banque de Paris et des Pays-Bas (financial analysis), followed by the Société Générale de Banque in financial management. After he graduated from Harvard Business School (MBA), he became director of successively Scienta, Société Européenne de Venture Capital (shareholders: Agnelli Group, N M Rothschild & Sons), Generale Maatschappij van België, Bosch and Paribas (France). He then created a company in his own name in Brussels, the main division of which was sold on in 1979.
Maurice Lippens joined the AG Group in 1981, in 1983, he became Managing Director, and then Chairman / Managing Director in 1988. He has been the Chairman of Fortis since 1990, participating to the creation of the group. In 2000, he became Chairman of the Executive Committee of Fortis. In 2004, he became the sole President of the group.
Mr Lippens was relieved of his position after a government bailout of the bank on 28 September 2008. He has been involved in numerous law suits and was accused of calling for private investors to buy more Fortis shares in June 2008.  In 2009, he still owned his shares (920,000 shares) of Fortis. In 2012, a Dutch court cleared Maurice Lippens for the misleading financial information published by Fortis in May–June 2008. In 2018, the Belgian justice dropped charges against seven ex-directors of Fortis, including Maurice Lippens, considering that they could not have foreseen the subprime mortgage crisis.
After leaving Fortis in 2008, he lived off his family's real estate company.
- Director Total
- Director GBL (Group Bruxelles Lambert)
- Director Belgacom
- Director Suez-Tractebel
- 1983-...: President of Companie Het Zoute
- Director Iscal Sugar
- Director Finasucre
- Director Groupe Sucrier
- Member Trilateral Commission
- Member Harvard Business School European Advisory Council
- Member Insead Belgium Council
- Member of the Belgian businessclub Cercle de Lorraine.
Events Participated in
|Bilderberg/2000||1 June 2000||4 June 2000||Belgium|
|The 48th Bilderberg, 94 guests|
|Bilderberg/2002||30 May 2002||2 June 2002||US|
|The 50th Bilderberg, held at Chantilly, Virginia.|
|Bilderberg/2006||8 June 2006||11 June 2006||Canada|
|54th Bilderberg, held in Canada. 133 guests|
- ↑ https://www.ageas.com/newsroom/fortis-president-maurice-lippens-made-grand-officer-order-leopold-ii
- ↑ http://portfolio.lesoir.be//v/economie/fortis/4511022_RedacSel4_Lippens31_jpg_0KQW7PGU.JPG.html
- ↑ https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2013/09/21/did_maurice_lippensdeceivesmallinvestors-1-1734811/
- ↑ https://www.gva.be/cnt/aid822072/maurice-lippens-beschikt-nog-over-1-miljoen-aandelen-fortis
- ↑ https://www.reuters.com/article/ageas-fine-idUSL5N0EV0JD20130619
- ↑ https://www.reuters.com/article/us-crime-belgium-fortis-idUSKCN1OJ0YK
- ↑ https://www.lecho.be/entreprises/banques/maurice-lippens-et-le-top-de-fortis-vont-echapper-au-proces/10080700.html
- ↑ https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2009/07/22/hier-leeft-maurice-lippens-van-en-zijn-familie-11757755-a1074857
- ↑ https://www.lalibre.be/economie/entreprises-startup/maurice-lippens-on-est-a-un-tournant-51b88fa2e4b0de6db9ae609
Wikipedia is not affiliated with Wikispooks. Original page source here