| Max Blumenthal |
(journalist, blogger, film maker, actor)
|Born||18 December 1977|
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
|Alma mater||University of Pennsylvania|
|Founder of||The Grayzone|
|Member of||American Herald Tribune|
|Interests|| • Palestine|
• Juan Guaidó
• Nicolás Maduro
• Integrity Initiative
• Deep state
• White Helmets
|Propaganda and the corporate media|
Reporting on Venezuela
Max Blumenthal was arrested on 25 October 2019 and charged with “assault” in a political case that he says is “completely false” and “manufactured” by Venezuela opposition supporters. According to Grayzone reporter Ben Norton:
- “A team of D.C. police officers appeared at Blumenthal’s door at just after 9am, demanding entry and threatening to break his door down. A number of officers had taken positions on the side of his home as though they were prepared for a SWAT-style raid.
- “Blumenthal was hauled into a police van and ultimately taken to D.C. central jail, where he was held for two days in various cells and cages,” Norton additionally reported. “He was shackled by his hands and ankles for over five hours in one such cage along with other inmates. His request for a phone call was denied by D.C. police and corrections officers, effectively denying him access to the outside world.
- "The 'assault' charge filed against Blumenthal stemmed from an alleged incident on 7 May 2019 related to his reporting on Venezuela."
Islamic State Fire Brigade
|aka Islamic State Fire Brigade|
Following James Le Mesurier's death in Turkey, Max Blumenthal was interviewed by Aaron Maté in November 2019 about the White Helmets group founded by Le Mesurier in March 2013: “The White Helmets are known around the world for rescuing civilians in Syria. But the recent death of its founder, James Le Mesurier, and an unfolding cover-up at the OPCW of an apparently staged chemical weapons incident, has shed new light on the group’s shadowy role in the Syria proxy war. We speak to The Grayzone’s Max Blumenthal, whose reporting has exposed the White Helmets’ ties to jihadists groups and its use as a PR tool for Western military intervention in Syria. Blumenthal explains that the White Helmets group (originally known as ARK) was founded and trained in Turkey and financed by UK, US, Qatar and Saudi Arabia. In Operation Timber Sycamore, and in conjunction with Al-Qaeda and ISIS, the White Helmets were tasked with carrying out regime change ("transition") in Syria and then occupying the country ("stabilisation"). Many slick videos of the work of the White Helmets were produced and in one they are described by British journalist John Cantlie as the Islamic State Fire Brigade.” 
The White Helmets were eventually defeated by the Syrian Arab Army with help from Iran and Russia. In July 2018, some 800 White Helmets and family members had to be evacuated through the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights for re-settlement in Canada, UK and Germany. The White Helmets re-emerged in October 2019 when Turkey carried out a military incursion into northern Syria where they were referred to as "Turkish mercenaries."
- (2009): Republican Gomorrah: Inside the Movement that Shattered the Party New York. Nation Books; ISBN 978-1568583983
- (2013): Goliath: Life and Loathing in Greater Israel. New York: Nation Books; ISBN 978-1568586342
- (2015): The 51 Day War: Ruin and Resistance in Gaza. New York: Nation Books; ISBN 978-1568585116
A Document by Max Blumenthal
|Title||Document type||Publication date||Subject(s)||Description|
|Document:The Making of Juan Guaidó: How the US Regime Change Laboratory Created Venezuela’s Coup Leader||Article||29 January 2019||Elliott Abrams|
National Endowment for Democracy
|Juan Guaidó is the product of a decade-long project overseen by Washington’s elite regime change trainers. While posing as a champion of democracy, Guaidó has spent years at the forefront of a violent campaign of destabilisation in Venezuela|
- "Max Blumenthal on how corporate media manufactures consent for war and regime change"
- "Journalist Max Blumenthal Arrested, Hit With Political Prosecution Related To Venezuela Reporting"
- , 26 November 2019
- "White Helmets Whitewash: founder's death, OPCW scandal lift mask on al-Qaeda's ally in Syria"