Mena/Intermountain Municipal Airport
| Mena/Intermountain Municipal Airport|
(Airport, Illegal drug trade, CIA/Drug trafficking)
|Locations||Mena, United States|
|Center of drug trafficking in the 80s.|
The Mena Intermountain Municipal Airport (IATA: UMZ, ICAO: KMEZ) is a city-owned, public-use airport located two nautical miles (4 km) southeast of the central business district of Mena, Arkansas, United States.
Drug trafficking activities in the 80s from there are linked to another airport, Angel Fire in New Mexico.
Wikipedia has a section about drug trafficking from the airport:
Allegations of CIA drug trafficking
A number of allegations have been made about the use of Mena Intermountain Municipal Airport as a CIA drop point in large scale cocaine trafficking, beginning in the latter part of the 1980s. Several local, state, and federal investigations have taken place in relation to these allegations. The topic has received some press coverage that has included allegations of awareness, participation and/or coverup involving prominent figures such as Reagan administration officials, then governor Bill Clinton and Saline County prosecutor Dan Harmon (who was convicted of numerous felonies including drug and racketeering charges in 1997).
Attempts were made to investigate by both state and federal level law enforcement, however these efforts were frustrated.
An investigation by the CIA's inspector general concluded that the CIA had no involvement in or knowledge of any illegal activities that may have occurred in Mena. The report said that the agency had conducted a training exercise at the airport in partnership with another federal agency and that companies located at the airport had performed "routine aviation-related services on equipment owned by the CIA".
- ↑ http://archive.today/2022.10.07-213244/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mena_Intermountain_Municipal_Airport
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20140611030948/http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-791307.html
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20140611030946/http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-901388.html
- ↑ http://www.todaysthv.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=99666
- ↑ https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB833927551906129500
- ↑ http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1996/Investigation-Absolves-CIA-in-Alleged-Drug-Smuggling/id-c6b1cd5b780b85221f796a44e0483c7b