| Windows |
|A closed source operating system.|
Microsoft Windows is a widely used, insecure, closed source operating system. Starting with the Windows-95 version, claims were made that Microsoft is secretly collecting user data. The most commonly used alternative is Linux.
In August 1999 Andrew D. Fernandes of Cryptonym Corporation discovered a variable in Windows NT 4 Service Pack 5 (which had been released unstripped of its symbolic debugging data) entitled "_NSAKEY". Microsoft stated that this was "simply an unfortunate name" connected to NSA export control and denied that it was a backdoor for the NSA. The independent computer security specialist Bruce Schneier did take a similar stand on the issue, basically confirming that it is rather unlikely that "NSAKEY" is part of a backdoor.
- http://web.archive.org/web/20030622093258/http://www.microsuck.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml saved at Archive.is
- NSA Key in Microsoft Crypto API? saved at Archive.org and Archive.is
- Microsoft’s new small print – how your personal data is (ab)used saved at Archive.org and Archive.is
- Prüfung von Windows 10 im Unternehmensumfeld saved at Archive.org
- Windows 10 Investigation Report saved at Archive.org
- Microsoft accused of adding spy features to Windows 7, 8 saved at Archive.org and Archive.is