Palestinian Liberation Organisation
|Palestinian Liberation Organisation|
|Headquarters||Ramallah, West Bank|
The Palestinian Liberation Organisation (PLO) is an organisation founded in 1964 with the purpose of the "liberation of Palestine" through armed struggle.
It is recognised as the "sole legitimate representative of the Palestinian people" by over 100 states with which it holds diplomatic relations, and has enjoyed observer status at the United Nations since 1974.
The PLO was considered by the United States and Israel to be a terrorist organisation until the 1991 Madrid Conference.
In 1993, the PLO recognised Israel's right to exist in peace, accepted UN Security Council resolutions 242 and 338, and rejected "violence and terrorism".
In response, Israel officially recognised the PLO as the representative of the Palestinian people.
Yasser Arafat was Chairman of the PLO from 1969 until his death in 2004.
Mahmoud Abbas succeeded Yasser Arafat as Chairman on 28 October 2004, and was chosen as President of the State of Palestine by the PLO Central Council on 23 November 2008, a position he had held unofficially since 8 May 2005.
Employee on Wikispooks
|Ziad Abu-Amr||Palestine/Deputy Prime Minister|
- ↑ Madiha Rashid al Madfai, Jordan, the United States and the Middle East Peace Process, 1974–1991, Cambridge Middle East Library, Cambridge University Press (1993). ISBN 0-521-41523-3. p. 21:"On 28 October 1974, the seventh Arab summit conference held in Rabat designated the PLO as the sole legitimate representative of the Palestinian people and reaffirmed their right to establish an independent state of urgency."
- ↑ "Isolated states: a comparative analysis"
- ↑ United Nations General Assembly Resolution 3210. "Invites the Palestine Liberation Organisation, the representative of the Palestinian people, to participate in the deliberations of the General Assembly on the question of Palestine in plenary meetings."
- ↑ United Nations General Assembly Resolution 3236. "Having heard the statement of the Palestine Liberation Organisation, the representative of the Palestinian people, …"
- ↑ United Nations General Assembly Resolution 3237
- ↑ Kim Murphy. "Israel and PLO, in Historic Bid for Peace, Agree to Mutual Recognition," Los Angeles Times, 10 September 1993.
- ↑ "The Palestinian Liberation Organisation"
- ↑ "PLO body elects Abbas ‘President of Palestine’"
Wikipedia is not affiliated with Wikispooks. Original page source here