| Phillip Lee |
|Born||Phillip James Lee|
28 September 1970
Defection to the LibDems?
On 14 June 2019, Bracknell Conservative Association chairman Gerry Barber told Bracknell News:
- “I have been contacted by members of the media to comment on the rumour concerning the defection of Dr Phillip Lee, Bracknell’s Conservative MP, to the Liberal Democrats.
- “Dr Lee and I have discussed this and he has assured me that there is absolutely no substance to this rumour.
- “Dr Lee emphasised in last week’s interview with Andrew Peach of BBC Radio Berkshire, that he is, and always will be a Conservative.”
On 1 August 2019, Phillip Lee said he feels “politically homeless” over his party’s shift towards a no-deal Brexit following Boris Johnson’s election as Conservative leader. Speaking on a podcast with Tory MP Sam Gyimah, Dr Lee said he would spend the parliamentary recess “thinking a lot” about his future, when asked if he would join the Lib Dems under new leader Jo Swinson.
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Ministry of Justice
- "Minister Phillip Lee quits over Brexit strategy"
- "Bracknell Conservative Association pass motion of no confidence in Phillip Lee MP"
- "Phillip Lee Liberal Democrats defection rumours have "no substance", claims Bracknell Conservative Association chairman"
- "Boris Johnson could lose majority overnight as Tory MP considers defecting to Lib Dems"