Maintaining Wikipedia compatibility
The wikipedia Infobox templates use 'Scribunto' to both parse and display template parameters. They are stuctured heirarchically with
Template:Infobox using the parameters passed to it by
Template:Infobox person. The call to
Template:Infobox is the first item in the calling template.
Infobox passes the
Infobox personsubsidiary template parameters to the Scribunto
Module:Infobox as a series of numbered pairs. The allowable parameters are copy/pasteable from the
There are 72 parameter pairs available in the current iteration of the Template and module - ie more than Wikispooks is ever likely to wish to use. Scribunto identifies them by number so any new parameter names can probably replace existing pairs that are unlikely ever to be used by WS.
The templates seem to be working fine with the basic information currently being passed by the few pages that have been imported from Wikipedia and the Infobox specs left unchanged. It seems therefore that the simplest way forward will be to construct new templates for inclusion in the
Infobox xxxx templates and containing just the required SMW property assignments. minor adjustments to the existing parameter names will also be required (Noteably "known for" to replace "description" for persons - also probably birth and death date names and locations). The property assignments in the existing
Template:Person, with some parameter name adjustments can be used as the
Infobox Person include.
- I like the idea of maintaining compatability, but indeed quite a lot of the 72 pairs are not currently relevant to Wikispooks and unlikely ever to be so. Meaning they can be replaced without loss, freeing up some slots for some custom Wikispooks parameters, such as WP page. Robin (talk) 13:53, 18 February 2014 (GMT)
- Currently this template doesn't use the Infobox templates or Scribunto modules at all so the display issues are confined to the code in this template only. Let's keep it in use until I've debugged the needed changes to the WP template - I've only just figured out exactly how they work but I'm confident that we will be able to use them with minimal changes or issues. I'll use the 'Know issues' section below as it progresses --Peter P (talk) 15:13, 18 February 2014 (GMT)
This list is incomplete. Please add to it:
Sort Order - This is not correct for, e.g. H. John Heinz III, which sorts under "iii", instead of of "Heinz - also for 'Jr' and 'Sr'"
- Poorly displayed parameters
- Authority control is not implemented and needs work. The WP-compatible approach would be to use a separate template for this, as this is what Wikipedia does. Another would be to have a bunch of separate parameters for this for each separate authority. The purpose of authority control is to facilitate bots, whether updating or using this dataset, might not be that relevant as yet.
- It would be good to display SMW-derived information, such as
I've been using "siblings" a quite a few times over the years, without noticing that it does not exist! Should it be added, or should I instead just merge it with "relatives"?