John Cryer outside Leytonstone tube station after an incident in December 2015
|Born||John Robert Cryer|
11 April 1964
John Cryer is an English Labour Party politician, who has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Leyton and Wanstead since the May 2010 General Election. He was previously MP for Hornchurch from 1997 until his defeat at the 2005 General Election.
In November 2020, Leyton & Wanstead CLP voted overwhelmingly for an expression of support for former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn – and against Keir Starmer’s breach of rules and practice in withdrawing the whip from Corbyn.
A journalist by profession, Cryer was educated at Oakbank School, Keighley, Hatfield Polytechnic and the London College of Printing.
He is on the left-wing of the Labour Party and is a member of the Socialist Campaign Group. He has worked for Tribune magazine and the Morning Star, for ASLEF and the Transport and General Workers Union (now Unite). He is a Eurosceptic.
As Member of Parliament for Hornchurch, he had a record as a rebel. He voted against tuition fees and top-up fees for higher education, against cuts in lone parent benefits (the first major rebellion under the Blair government) and against the Iraq War.
He was involved in local campaigns, for example to save a local primary school, to prevent the loss of a popular GP surgery in Rainham and against proposals to cut the number of beds at Oldchurch Hospital.
He was one of 16 signatories of an open letter to Ed Miliband in January 2015 calling on the party to commit to oppose further austerity, take rail franchises back into public ownership and strengthen collective bargaining arrangements
On 8 May 2015 he was re-elected as MP for the Leyton and Wanstead constituency with 58.6% of the vote. In the UK/2017 General Election, John Cryer was returned with 32,234 votes or 69.8%, an 11.2% increased share.
He is the son of Ann Cryer and Bob Cryer, both former Labour MPs. As a child he appeared as an extra in the film The Railway Children (1970). His wife is Ellie Reeves MP, (Lewisham West & Penge), who is the sister of Rachel Reeves MP (Leeds West).
- "Leytonstone attack: Local MP says it would be ‘dangerous’ to link stabbing to vote on Syria air strikes"
- "Election 2010: Leyton and Wanstead"
- "Profile: John Cryer"
- "Jeremy Corbyn plunged into fresh civil war with Labour MPs as he's accused of acting in 'bad faith'"
- "‘PLP’ – Labour MPs’ grouping – chair’s CLP defies free-speech ban to vote support for Corbyn"
- Times Guide to the House of Commons, 1997
- "The Labour left demand a change of direction – why their intervention matters"
- "John Cryer Is The New Chair Of The PLP"
- "MP For The Keighley Constituency Ann Cryer"
- "MP Tom Watson finds new love after break up of marriage"