University of Dayton
| University of Dayton |
|Motto||Pro Deo et Patria|
|Private, Catholic research university in Dayton, Ohio.|
The University of Dayton (UD) is a private, Catholic research university in Dayton, Ohio. Founded in 1850 by the Society of Mary (Marianists), it is one of three Marianist universities in the nation and the second-largest private university in Ohio. In the fall of 2020, the university enrolled 11,347 full-time students from a variety of religious, ethnic, and geographic backgrounds.
It was founded in 1850 as St. Mary's School for Boys. Later it was called St. Mary's Institute. In 1913 the municipality of Dayton suffered a terrible flood when the Miami River overflowed its banks, and the Marianist religious, together with students and professors from the academic institution, turned to the rescue and help of the citizens of Dayton. To reflect this commitment to involvement between the university and the city, the institution adopted the name of the University of Dayton in 1920.
The growing Catholic presence in Dayton during the 1920s drew the hostility of the Ku Klux Klan, which focused that hostility toward the university. On Dec. 19, 1923, 12 bombs exploded throughout the campus and an 8-foot cross was set on fire. Several hundred Klansmen were chased off by neighborhood residents and students.
Over the past few years, the university has been acquiring land from the National Cash Register company, better known as NCR, while it slowly dismantled its operations in Dayton to move its operations to the state of Georgia. In this way, the physical size of the campus has expanded three times or more compared to its original size.
An Alumnus on Wikispooks
|William E. Kelly||Author|