Melbourne’s Centre for National Resilience
| Melbourne’s Centre for National Resilience|
(Prison, Pandemic prison, Hospital, Contract fraud?)
A letter sent to residents.
|This massive and expensive facility had thousands of beds meant for mandatory quarantine during "the Covid "pandemic". Closed its doors in October 2022.|
Melbourne’s Centre for National Resilience in Victoria, Australia was built outside the suburb of Mickleham 29 kilometres north of Melbourne. The plot of land at 135 Donnybrook Road was going to be used to build a large camp/facility which was officially intended to be used for mandatory quarantine.
The site was chosen from a number of others. The design was based upon another quarantine facility in Howard Springs. The centre was built on Commonwealth land and construction costs will be funded by the federal government, with the Victorian government to run the facility. The lot is the size of an airport. The cost was 400 million dollars, later updated to $580 million, before ending up at $700 million, plus running costs of several million a month.
In 2012, the site used to hold imported animals and plants in quarantine before release into Australia.
In October 2022, the purpose-built million facility closed, eight months after it took in its first residents, after having interned 2168 people since it opened in February.
Former PM Julia Gillard approved the plan. 
International construction giant Multiplex won the tender to build the new modular 1,000-bed quarantine facility at Mickleham, Melbourne.
Construction begun on 14 August 2021. Renders of the design look like a hotel.
The facility has a full capacity of 1000 beds, but only 500 were ever used because of lower-than-expected demand. The state government agreed to meet the running costs during "the pandemic", which documents revealed under freedom of information laws were $1.5 million a week in the months of April, May and June 2022.
The site was also known as Mickleham Post Entry Quarantine Facility.
- ↑ https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11011881/Australias-2BILLION-Covid-quarantine-facility-white-elephants-unlikely-used.html
- ↑ https://www.beefcentral.com/news/site-for-new-400m-post-entry-quarantine-centre-announced/
- ↑ a b https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/mickleham-quarantine-centre-costing-taxpayers-1-5m-per-week-to-stay-open-20220721-p5b3eq.html
- ↑ https://www.thepigsite.com/news/2012/07/a400m-quarantine-facility-for-victoria
- ↑ https://builtoffsite.com.au/news/modular-quarantine-facility/
- ↑ https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/construction-of-mickleham-quarantine-camp-is-under-way-20210812-p58i50.html