Sir Nigel Sheinwald KCMG has been appointed Her Majesty's Ambassador to the United States of America in succession to Sir David Manning KCMG who will be retiring from the Diplomatic Service. Sir Nigel will take up his new appointment in the autumn of 2007.
- Name: Sir Nigel Elton Sheinwald KCMG
- Date of Birth: 26 June 1953
- Married to: Julia
- Children: three sons 1984, 1985, 1987
- October 2007 - Present: British ambassador to the United States
- 2003 - 2007: Foreign Policy Adviser to the Prime Minister and Head of the Cabinet Office Overseas and Defence Secretariat.
- 2000-03 Brussels, UK Perm Rep to the EU
- 1998-00 FCO, Europe Director
- 1995-98 FCO, Head of News Department
- 1993-95 Brussels (EU), Head of UK Representation's Political and Institutional Section
- 1989-92 FCO, Deputy Head European Union Department (Internal)
- 1987-89 FCO, Deputy Head, Policy Planning Staff
- 1983-87 Washington, Political Section
- 1981-83 FCO, Head of Anglo-Soviet Section
- 1979-81 Rhodesia/Zimbabwe Department
- 1978-79 Moscow, Political Section
- 1977-78 Russian language training
- 1976-77 FCO, Japan Desk
On 15 January 2008, Sheinwald gave an address on British policy in the Middle East at the neoconservative Washington Institute for Near East Policy.