| Peter Riddell |
|Born||Peter John Robert Riddell|
14 October 1948
From 1991 to 2010 he was a political commentator for The Times, and has been an Assistant Editor since 1991. Prior to this, he was US Editor and Washington Bureau Chief at The Financial Times between 1989 and 1991.
He has been a member of the Hansard Society council since 1996 and was its chair from 2007 until 2012. He was a senior fellow at the Institute for Government from 2008 until 2011, and since January 2012 has been director of the Institute for Government.
On 6 July 2010 the UK Prime Minister David Cameron announced that Riddell would be one of three members of an inquiry to determine whether Joint Intelligence Committee were complicit in the torture of detainees, including those from the Guantanamo Bay detention camp or subject to rendition flights. Riddell joined the Privy Council to permit easier access to secret information. Nafeez Ahmed writes that he "seem[s] to have been hand-picked for their subservience to the Whitehall establishment, particularly the security services... regarded with amiable fondness by senior Whitehall and intelligence figures, Peter Riddell has not yet demonstrated any of the toughness or readiness to challenge the Whitehall establishment this investigation requires."
- The Thatcher Government (1983), ISBN 978-0-631-14519-6
- The Thatcher Decade (1989), ISBN 978-0-631-16274-2
- The Thatcher Era and Its Legacy (1991), ISBN 978-0-631-18268-9
- Honest Opportunism: The Rise of the Career Politician (1993), ISBN 978-0-575-40039-9
- Parliament Under Pressure (1997), ISBN 978-0-575-06435-5
- Parliament Under Blair (2000), ISBN 978-1-902301-60-0
- Blair Government (2002), ISBN 978-1-902301-74-7
- Hug Them Close: Blair, Clinton, Bush and the 'Special Relationship' (2004), ISBN 978-1-84275-118-3
This is a book "celebrating Tony Blair’s relationship with George W. Bush and the U.S. — [published] by coincidence at almost exactly the moment the worst of the alleged torture abuses were taking place".<ref name=na77><Document:Document:7/7 Terror and Torture by Nafeez Ahmed/ref>
- The Unfulfilled Prime Minister: Tony Blair's Quest for a Legacy (2006), ISBN 978-1-84275-168-8
- In defence of Politicians (in spite of themselves)" (2011)
- Ben Dowell (18 June 2010). "Times political commentator Peter Riddell to quit paper after 19 years". guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 7 July 2010.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "CSS").
- Hansard Society - Advisory Council - Peter Riddell
- James Blitz and Alex Barke (6 July 2010). "Torture claims raise out-of-court deal prospect". Financial Times. Retrieved 7 July 2010.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "CSS").
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- "No. 60173". The London Gazette (invalid
|supp=(help)). 16 June 2012.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "CSS"). London Gazette uses unsupported parameters (help)
|This is a page stub. Please add to it.|