Queen Sofía of Spain
| Queen Sofía of Spain |
Tatoi Palace, Athens, Greece
|Spouse||Juan Carlos I of Spain|
|Member of||Club of Rome|
Spanish royal with penchant for Bilderbergs
Sofía (born 2 November 1938) was Queen of Spain from 1975 to 2014 as the wife of King Juan Carlos I and a multi-Bilderberger.
Born Princess Sophia of Greece and Denmark, she is the first child of King Paul of Greece and Frederica of Hanover. As her family was forced into exile during the Second World War, she spent part of her childhood in Egypt, returning to Greece in 1946. She completed her secondary education in a boarding school in Germany before returning to Greece where she specialised in childcare, music and archaeology.
Sofía met her paternal third cousin the then Infante Juan Carlos of Spain on a cruise in the Greek Islands in 1954; they met again at the wedding of the Duke of Kent, her paternal second cousin, in June 1961. Sofia and Juan Carlos married on 14 May 1962, at the Catholic Cathedral of Saint Dionysius in Athens.
She became queen upon her husband's accession in 1975. On 19 June 2014, Juan Carlos abdicated in favor of their son Felipe VI.
Sofia is also a great-granddaughter of the last German emperor, Wilhelm II, and second cousin of Charles, Prince of Wales. She is a great-great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom through her father and also a great-great-great-granddaughter through her mother.
Sofía acknowledged in a book interview having attended some of the secret meetings of the Bilderberg Group. In response to the journalist's questions, the Queen replied:
- For me, they are exciting meetings. Yes, exciting. Over the years, you meet very diverse, well-informed, well-connected people, each with a formidable background in their field, in their area, or in their country. People from many worlds meet there: politics, finance, energy, defense, communications, scientific research ... You learn so much!
When asked by the journalist why these meetings are secret, Queen Sofía replied:
- The secret is so that each one can freely say what they think, what comes to mind in a debate, and that this does not spread. But it is not secret because we are conspiring. No conspiracies! There, no one is queen or chancellor or president of a government or chairman of a multinational ... There are no ranks there. These are left, not in the hotel room, but in the airport of your country of origin. Neither does anyone go with their spouse or his secretaries ... In the Bilderberg meetings, political, economic, or defensive decisions are not made. It is not an "executive" world organization, so to speak. Big questions are discussed, yes. There is no gossip or nonsense talk. It is precisely worth attending for the information that circulates there, for the more rigorous and complete vision of certain conflicts that affect us or will affect us.
Events Participated in
|Bilderberg/1989||12 May 1989||14 May 1989||Spain|
La Toja Island
|37th Bilderberg meeting, 110 guests|
|Bilderberg/1990||10 May 1990||13 May 1990||New York|
|38th Bilderberg meeting, 119 guests|
|Bilderberg/1992||21 May 1992||24 May 1992||France|
Royal Club Evian
|The 40th Bilderberg. It had 121 participants.|
|Bilderberg/2003||15 May 2003||18 May 2003||France|
|The 51st Bilderberg, in Versailles, France|
|Bilderberg/2005||5 May 2005||8 May 2005||Germany|
|The 53rd Bilderberg, 132 guests|
|Bilderberg/2007||31 May 2007||3 June 2007||Turkey|
|The 55th Bilderberg meeting, held in Turkey|
|Bilderberg/2010||3 June 2010||6 June 2010||Spain|
Hotel Dolce Sitges
|The 122 guests met in the Hotel Dolce Sitges, Barcelona, Spain.|
|Bilderberg/2011||9 June 2011||12 June 2011||Switzerland|
|59th meeting, in Switzerland, 129 guests|
|Bilderberg/2014||29 May 2014||1 June 2014||Denmark|
|The 62nd Bilderberg, with 136 guests, held in Copenhagen|
- ↑ Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstliche Häuser XV. "Spanien". C.A. Starke Verlag, 1997, pp. 20, 100-101. (in German)
- ↑ https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/10898873/Spain-will-have-two-kings-and-two-queens.html
- ↑ http://ecodiario.eleconomista.es/internacional/noticias/1255080/05/09/Que-ha-decidido-el-Club-Bilderberg-este-fin-de-semana.html
- ↑ http://ecodiario.eleconomista.es/espana/noticias/836230/10/08/La-reina-confiesa-asistir-a-las-reuniones-del-club-Bilderberg-Alli-se-corta-mucho-bacalao.html