| Steve Baker |
|Born||6 June 1971|
|Alma mater||University of Southampton|
|Member of||Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China|
|Party||Conservative Party (UK)|
Tory MP who pushed gene-based Covid jabs on pregnant women.
Steven John Baker is a British politician and a former Royal Air Force engineer, consultant and bank worker, who was chair of the European Research Group (ERG) from 2016 to 2017 and 2019 to 2020. A member of the Conservative Party, he has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Wycombe in Buckinghamshire since 2010.
He is a member of the intelligence cut-out Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China. He is a member of the COVID Recovery Group, an informal group of Conservative Party MPs, described by the Guardian as being "anti woke" and "anti lockdown". In 2021, he recommended pregnant women to get a Covid jab.
In June 2015 he became co-chair of Conservatives for Britain, a campaigning organisation formed of Eurosceptic MPs. He co-founded The Cobden Centre and sits on its advisory board. He established and chairs the all-party parliamentary group (APPG) on Economics, Money and Banking. He was chair of the ERG, a pro-Brexit group of Conservative MPs, from 20 November 2016 until his promotion to ministerial office at the Department for Exiting the European Union on 13 June 2017, but resigned from his office on 9 July 2018 following the resignation of David Davis over concerns with the government's strategy on Brexit. The same day Jacob Rees-Mogg appointed Baker as the deputy chair and de facto whip of the ERG, alongside Mark Francois. In September 2019 Baker was again elected as the group's chair, taking over from Rees-Mogg. In February 2020 he announced his resignation from the post, but confirmed that he would continue as a member. In late 2021, Baker announced the campaign group Conservative Way Forward will be relaunched in 2022nwith him as its new chairman.
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20210809120724/https://twitter.com/SteveBakerHW/status/1424703820186144773
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20160304214452/http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/hi/representatives/profiles/83404.stm
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20190529210511/https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/11657169/Conservatives-will-stand-up-for-Britain-if-the-EU-lets-us-down.html
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20180708234020/https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2018/jul/09/david-davis-resigns-as-brexit-secretary-live-updates
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20180715175635/https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-44766822/steve-baker-on-his-resignation-as-brexit-minister
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20190326211918/https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/11/why-are-tory-rebels-pushing-confidence-vote-they-might-not-win
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20190329074607/https://news.sky.com/story/live-victory-for-brexiteers-as-pm-accepts-changes-to-chequers-plan-11438505
- ↑ https://ghostarchive.org/archive/20220525/https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jacob-reesmogg-brexit-erg-theresa-may-latest-dads-army-meaningful-vote-steve-baker-a8643296.html
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20190329074549/https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/02/what-exactly-do-tory-rebels-want-backstop
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20220501121334/https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/11/boris-johnsons-overreaction-omicron-variant-squandering-goodwill/
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20220501121342/https://twitter.com/stevebakerhw/status/1469755578360676352