Kees van der Pijl
| Kees van der Pijl |
|Alma mater||Leiden University, University of Amsterdam|
|Interests||“9-11/Israel did it”|
Kees van der Pijl (born 15 June 1947) is a Dutch political scientist who is Emeritus Professor of International Relations at the University of Sussex. He is known for his critical approach to global political economy and has published, amongst others, "Flight MH17, Ukraine and the New Cold War. Prism of Disaster" (2018), a trilogy on "Modes of Foreign Relations and Political Economy" (2007, 2010, 2014); "Global Rivalries from the Cold War to Iraq" (2006); "Transnational Classes and International Relations" (1998); and "The Making of an Atlantic Ruling Class" (1984, reprinted 2012).
On 3 November 2018, Kees van der Pijl tweeted:
- "Not Saudis, Israelis blew up Twin Towers with help from Zionists in US govt." The tweet included a link to the article 9-11/Israel did it on this web site.
Kees van der Pijl studied law at Leiden University from 1965 to 1967. After military service as a reserve officer in the Royal Dutch Military Police, and a trip through the Soviet Union to Japan in 1970, he switched to political science, a specialisation taught in Leiden as part of the public law degree. His most influential teachers were Hans Daalder, Ben Sijes, and the Indologist, J.C. Heesterman, with whom he wrote his final thesis on the politics of regional diversity in India. He graduated in 1973 and was hired as a junior lecturer by the Department of International Relations at the University of Amsterdam in that year. In 1983 he received his doctorate at the University of Amsterdam on a thesis titled "Imperialism and Class Formation in the North Atlantic Area", supervised by Gerd Junne. He was involved in the Communist Party of the Netherlands (CPN) and also published short stories and three novels (1989, 1992, 1994, all with De Harmonie). Van der Pijl was co-director of the Research Centre for International Political Economy (Recipe) from 1992 to 1998. With Henk Overbeek, Ries Bode, Otto Holman, Bastiaan van Apeldoorn and others, this created a tentative Amsterdam School of global political economy.
In 2000, Van der Pijl moved to the United Kingdom to take up the chair in international relations at the University of Sussex, vacant after the retirement of Professor Michael Nicholson. He was appointed director of the Centre for Global Political Economy (CGPE) at that university when it was launched in 2001 (until 2006), and was subject chair/head of the Department of Politics and International Relations from 2002 to 2004. In 2006 he was awarded a Leverhulme Major Research Fellowship. He has taught as a visiting professor at the University of Auvergne at Clermont-Ferrand (2005, 2006) and at the L’Orientale University in Naples (2009, 2010). His work has been nominated for prizes in 2007 and 2008 and he was awarded the Deutscher Memorial Prize in 2008 for Nomads, Empires, States (Pluto 2007). On his return to the Netherlands he joined the Dutch Anti-Fascist Resistance (AFVN/BvA, issued from the wartime communist underground). He served as its president from 2013 to October 2015 and was involved in launching a Committee of Vigilance Against Resurgent Fascism of which he is the current president.
- "This article presents evidence that the Israeli deep state was the prime mover in the events of 9/11. Note that it does not imply that other groups (i.e. the US deep state and maybe others) were not involved in both the commission and cover-up of the September 11 attacks.
- "The 9/11 event advanced the neocon Project for the New American Century (PNAC) agenda, with its explicitly stated need for 'a catastrophic and catalysing event - like a new Pearl Harbor' in order to mobilise US public opinion for already planned wars, the effects of which would be to destroy Israel's enemies."
- "Van der Pijl, Kees Transnational Classes and International Relations". Perspectives on Political Science. 1 January 2000. Retrieved 2009-02-16.
- "Not Saudis, Israelis blew up Twin Towers with help from Zionists in US govt"
- International Journal of Political Economy, 19: 3, 1989
- Journal of International Relations and Development, 7: 2, 2004
- Centre for Global Political Economy. "Centre for Global Political Economy".
- "Nomads, Empires, States". Isaac Deutscher Memorial Prize. 2008. Retrieved 2009-03-17.
- Osbourne, Samuel. "Sussex University professor who claimed Israelis carried out 9/11 must have emeritus status removed, Jewish group says". The Independent.
- , 6 November 2018
Interviews and text resources
- A Survey of Global Political Economy' (web textbook)
- Global Rivalries Today: An Interview with Kees Van Der Pijl (Transform Network)
- Foreign relations from the egg: Nomads, Empires, States (Dailykos)
- Economics Behind Politics: A Review of Kees van der Pijl’s "Global Rivalries" (Dailykos)
- "Foundations of Social Change: An Interview with Kees Van Der Pijl" (New Left Project)
- Kees van der Pijl on the Demise of Left-Wing Parties in Europe, Empires and the Current Value of Marx (Interview on Theory Talks)
- Modes of Foreign Relations vs Uneven and Combined Development: The Marxist Legacy and Relations between and within Alienated Societies (review article by Örsan Şenalp)
- "The Nobel Peace Prize for the EU – A Sick Joke?" (Verso Books)
- "Interview with Kees Van der Pijl (The Current Moment)
|Born on||1947 +|
|Constitutes||Professor + and Author +|
|Display born on||1947 +|
|Display docType||Wikispooks Page +|
|Display image||File:Kees_van_der_Pijl.jpg +|
|Display lifespan||Born 1947 +|
|Has almaMater||Leiden University + and University of Amsterdam +|
|Has bilderbergCount||0 +|
|Has birthPlace||Dordrecht + and Netherlands +|
|Has cercleCount||0 +|
|Has fullPageName||Kees van der Pijl +|
|Has fullPageNamee||Kees_van_der_Pijl +|
|Has image2||File:Kees_van_der_Pijl.jpg +|
|Has interest||"9-11/Israel did it" +|
|Has noRatings||0 +|
|Has objectClass||Person +|
|Has objectClass2||Person +|
|Has revisionSize||8,405 +|
|Has revisionUser||Robin +|
|Has twitter||https://twitter.com/KeesvdPijl1 +|
|Has wikipediaPage||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kees van der Pijl +|
|Has wikipediaPage2||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kees_van_der_Pijl +|
|Is not stub||true +|
|Source credit||Wikipedia +|
|Has subobject||Kees van der Pijl +|