| UK/Supreme Court |
|Parent organization||UK, UK/Ministry of Justice|
The UK/Supreme Court (UKSC) is the final court of appeal in the United Kingdom for civil cases, and for criminal cases from England, Wales and Northern Ireland. The UKSC hears cases of the greatest public or constitutional importance affecting the whole population.
As authorised by the Constitutional Reform Act 2005, Part 3, Section 23(1) and s. 23, the UKSC was formally established on 1 October 2009, and assumed the judicial functions of the House of Lords, which had been exercised by the Lords of Appeal in Ordinary (commonly called "Law Lords"), the 12 judges appointed as members of the House of Lords to carry out its judicial business as the Appellate Committee of the House of Lords.
The UKSC's jurisdiction over devolution matters had previously been exercised by the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council.
There are 12 Judges of the UK Supreme Court:
- Lord Reed (President)
- Lord Hodge (Deputy President)
- Lady Arden of Heswall
- Lord Briggs of Westbourne
- Lord Burrows
- Lord Hamblen of Kersey
- Lord Kitchin
- Lord Leggatt
- Lord Lloyd-Jones
- Lady Rose of Colmworth
- Lord Sales
- Lord Stephens of Creevyloughgare
Parliament's prorogation "unlawful"
From 17 to 19 September 2019, eleven Supreme Court justices heard challenges to the legality of Boris Johnson's decision to suspend parliament for five weeks. The Supreme Court was summoned for this emergency hearing outside legal term-time after the Scottish appeal court unanimously allowed the prorogation challenge.
President of the Supreme Court, Baroness Hale, summarised the Court's unaninmous Judgment on Tuesday 24 September 2019, which concluded:
- "This Court has already concluded that the Prime Minister’s advice to Her Majesty was unlawful, void and of no effect. This means that the Order in Council to which it led was also unlawful, void and of no effect and should be quashed. This means that when the Royal Commissioners walked into the House of Lords it was as if they walked in with a blank sheet of paper. The prorogation was also void and of no effect. Parliament has not been prorogued. This is the unanimous Judgment of all 11 Justices.
- "It is for Parliament, and in particular the Speaker and the Lord Speaker to decide what to do next. Unless there is some Parliamentary rule of which we are unaware, they can take immediate steps to enable each House to meet as soon as possible. It is not clear to us that any step is needed from the Prime Minister, but if it is, the court is pleased that his counsel have told the court that he will take all necessary steps to comply with the terms of any declaration made by this Court. It follows that the Advocate General’s appeal in the case of Cherry is dismissed and Mrs Miller’s appeal is allowed. The same declarations and orders should be made in each case."
The 24-page Judgment on the cases
- R (on the application of Miller) (Appellant) v The Prime Minister (Respondent); and,
- Cherry and others (Respondents) v Advocate General for Scotland (Appellant) (Scotland)
|Document:Justice for Megrahi - Scotland must fund Supreme Court appeal||Letter||27 April 2021||Patrick Haseldine||#Scotland not #Libya must fund #JusticeForMegrahi appeal to #UKSupremeCourt. Should be a major issue in the #ScottishElections2021. #AlbaParty agree: do the other parties? @Anwar_and_Co @Ali2082009 @PrivateEyeNews @Dabaibahamid|
|Document:Justice for Megrahi - is Aamer Anwar capable of getting it?||Letter||23 April 2021||Patrick Haseldine||Is Justice for Megrahi achieved by blocking Twitter accounts? Is Aamer Anwar capable of getting Justice for Megrahi?|
|Document:Justice for Megrahi awaits at the Supreme Court||Letter||4 April 2021||Patrick Haseldine||My recommendation, Mr Anwar, is that you appeal to the UK Supreme Court to quash the Scottish Court in the Netherlands' 2001 conviction of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi on the basis of fabricated timer fragment evidence led by the "non-expert witness" Allen Feraday|
|Document:Justice for Megrahi is gonna happen!||Letter||14 April 2021||Patrick Haseldine||Aamer Anwar said: "I have no doubt that the new democratic Libyan Government headed by Abdul Hamid al-Dabaiba will support this final appeal for justice on behalf of the Al-Megrahi family and help in our efforts to prove the innocence of Libya and its people."|
|Document:Pollokshields Shows How To Achieve Independence||blog post||14 May 2021||Craig Murray||Pollokshields showed how the people of Scotland will eventually take their own Independence. The “illegal” way in British law. The Gandhi way. The Mandela way. The people’s way. You cannot impose UK law on the people of Scotland.|
|Document:Scottish High Court Denies Whistleblower Craig Murray's Request To Appeal Conviction Over Blog Posts||Article||9 June 2021||Mohamed Elmaazi||Craig Murray's fate turns on whether the judges in London, where the Supreme Court is based, consider the application on an expedited basis.|
|Document:The Crown came for Craig Murray||blog post||29 July 2021||Gordon Dangerfield||“I go to jail with a clean conscience after a Kafkaesque trial. I believe this is actually the state’s long sought revenge for my whistleblowing on security service collusion with torture and my long term collaboration with Wikileaks and other whistleblowers."|
|Document:The Mind Numbing Hypocrisy of the Supreme Court||blog post||21 December 2021||Craig Murray||So the Supreme Court has ruled that there must be a right to appeal against imprisonment, unless your name is Craig Murray, you are connected to Julian Assange or you are a "war on terror" whistleblower.|
|Document:Whistleblower Craig Murray Sentenced To 8 Months In Prison Over His Reporting On Former Scottish First Minister’s Trial||Article||Mohamed Elmaazi||Craig Murray tweets: "I cannot commend this article highly enough to anybody who wants to understand why and how I have been sentenced to prison."<a href="#cite_note-2"></a>|
Wikipedia is not affiliated with Wikispooks. Original page source here