| Craig Murray |
(Whistleblower, Diplomat, author, dissident)
|Born||Craig John Murray|
17 October 1958
|Alma mater||University of Dundee|
|Exposed||UK complicity in torture|
|Founder/Owner of||Craig Murray's blog|
|Member of||American Herald Tribune|
|Interest of||"Philip Cross"|
A UK ambassador to Uzbekistan who stood up and did the right thing when confronted with evidence of torture. Smeared and dismissed by the UK deep state, he continues his activism exposing Establishment lies and hypocrisy.
“It is to me quite incredible that the UK is still at the mercy of the whims and foibles of degenerates from not only the same class, but from within the same tiny social institutions which still confer a hereditary ability to govern a state of 60 million people now, in 2020. It makes a mockery of the UK’s claim to be a functional social polity and it makes a mockery of the very notion that “democracy” has any real existence in British society.”
Craig Murray (14 February 2020) Time Warp UK 
Craig Murray is a UK senior diplomat turned whistleblower, author, blogger and human rights activist. He resigned as Britain's Ambassador to Uzbekistan after revealing that the UK government knowingly used intelligence obtained by torture. The next decade he lived "as a dissident where I have devoted my life to exposing, and trying to counter, the evil of the neo-conservative policy pursued by our political class at the behest of the corporations who fund them. I have suffered a huge loss in money, status and most of the other normal aspirations. But what I have gained is invaluable. I have respect and love, while Blair and Straw will forever be despised."
- 1 Background
- 2 Diplomatic career
- 3 Parliamentary candidate
- 4 2017 Libel lawsuit
- 5 2020 Contempt charges
- 6 Opinions
- 7 Author
- 8 Shadow banning
- 9 Documents by Craig Murray
- 10 Quotes by Craig Murray
- 11 Event Participated in
- 12 Related Documents
- 13 References
Craig Murray was born on 17 October 1958 in West Runton, near Cromer, Norfolk. He was educated at Sheringham Primary and Paston Grammar schools. He graduated from the University of Dundee in 1982 with an MA (Hons) 1st Class in Modern History. From 1982 to 1984 he was President of Dundee University Students Association and was Rector of Dundee University (2007-2010).
Craig Murray joined the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in 1984 and was assigned to Southern African Department (SAfD) to uphold the sporting boycott and the UN's mandatory arms embargo against apartheid South Africa. Craig Murray thus replaced Patrick Haseldine in September 1984 when the latter was seconded to the Office of Fair Trading following the Coventry Four affair and adverse staff appraisal reports from the South Africa desk officer David Carter and SAfD's assistant head Nigel Thorpe.
First two years
Craig Murray wrote that "My first FCO job was in the South Africa Section as the South Africa (political) officer, at a time when Apartheid was in full sway in South Africa. It was the official policy of Her Majesty’s Government to oppose international sanctions efforts, and the Thatcher government’s official line was that Mandela was a terrorist properly in jail after a fair trial. There was a huge tension between the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and 10 Downing Street..."
Craig Murray's postings as a member of HM Diplomatic Service included:
- 1986-9: Second Secretary (Commercial), British High Commission, Lagos. Responsible for promoting British exports to, and business interests in, Nigeria.
- 1989-92 Head of Maritime Section, Aviation and Maritime Department (AMD), FCO, London. Responsible for negotiation of the UK and Dependent Territory continental shelf and fisheries boundaries, for implementation of the Channel Tunnel treaty and for negotiations on the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.
- From August 1990 to August 1991 he was also head of AMD's Embargo Surveillance Centre, responsible for intelligence analysis on Iraqi attempts at evading sanctions, particularly in the field of weapons procurement, and with providing information to UK military forces and to other governments to effect physical enforcement of the embargo.
- 1992-4 Cyprus desk officer in Southern European Department (SED), FCO, London. Responsible for UN negotiations on the Cyprus dispute, relations with the government of Cyprus and for the mandate and requirements of the British contingent of the UN force in Cyprus.
- 1994-7 First Secretary (Political and Economic), British Embassy, Warsaw. Head of the Political and Economic sections of our Embassy in Poland. Responsible for relations with Poland, and assisting Poland’s post-communist transition process with reference to preparation for EU membership.
- 1997-8 Deputy Head, Africa Department (Equatorial), FCO, London. Responsible for British political and commercial relationships with West Africa, including development issues.
- 1998-2002 Deputy High Commissioner, British High Commission, West Africa Branch. Responsible for British economic, political, commercial and aid relationships with Ghana and Togo. In Autumn 1998, Craig Murray was the UK Representative at the Sierra Leone Peace talks held in Togo, Liberia and Sierra Leone, including direct negotiation with the RUF terrorist leadership.
- 2002-2004 British Ambassador, Uzbekistan. Responsible for the UK relationship with Uzbekistan, where he found Western support for the dictatorial Karimov regime unconscionable, as detailed on his website 
Questioning Use of Torture
|Craig Murray's allegations of UK/US connection to torture|
Murray was summoned back to London in August 2003 and presented with 18, mostly baseless, allegations about his behaviour and given a week to resign, he said. He suffered a breakdown[clarification needed] and the charges were dropped, but he said he planned to take legal action against the Foreign Office as his health had been permanently affected.
In October 2004, Murray was recalled from his post in Uzbekistan's capital Tashkent amid conflicting statements about whether he was to face disciplinary action. He told the BBC that the reason for his removal was his criticism of the use of intelligence allegedly obtained under torture by the Uzbekistan Government. The Foreign Office refused to be comment on these claims, but in a statement said he had been withdrawn, not on disciplinary, but on "operational grounds". It added that the charge it was suppressing open discussion was completely without foundation.
Murray's removal has prompted an open letter to the British government from Uzbek political activists who describe him as a "force for democratic change". But Mr Murray said FCO officials had been trying to force him out for a year because of his despatches back to London. In one he claimed MI6 had used information passed on to it by the CIA but originally obtained in Uzbek torture cells - something strongly denied by the Foreign Office. In the leaked telegram, printed in the Financial Times, he wrote that the use of information gained by torture was "morally, practically and legally wrong".
- "I have been a victim of conscience," Mr Murray told BBC Radio 4's Today programme. "I expressed my view strongly, but only internally. It wasn't me that leaked my views to the Financial Times but plainly that has led to my removal from my post." He added: "This sends a very strong signal that since the start of the war on "terrorism", anyone who even internally questions what's happening from a liberal standpoint is going to seriously damage their employment prospects."
Amnesty International UK described Mr Murray's championing of human rights as "extremely important" and said it would be alarmed if it had led to his removal. "The government should now make it clear that it wishes to have a strong British voice for human rights in Tashkent," a spokesman added.
Tory international affairs spokesman Gary Streeter told BBC Radio 4's Today Programme it was "perfectly legitimate" for Mr Murray to criticise "the way things are working within his sphere of influence".
On 14 March 2014, Craig Murray described "The Torture Cover-Up" as follows:
- "The entire programme was on a scale and of an order of brutality much greater than anything that has been yet understood by the public. All of those foreign nationals rendered to Uzbekistan, for example, were killed during or following torture and buried in the desert."
At the 2005 UK General Election, Craig Murray took on Foreign Secretary Jack Straw in Blackburn as an independent candidate, gaining 2,082 votes.
On 10 December 2014, The Scotsman newspaper reported that Craig Murray had been nominated by SNP members in the party’s branch in Airdrie and Shotts, whose seat is held by Labour’s Pamela Nash, to fight for the nationalists at the 2015 General Election. The report continued:
- "Mr Murray, who campaigned for a Yes vote in the independence referendum, also controversially described No supporters as 'either evil, or quite extraordinarily thick.' Mr Murray said: 'I’m in the vetting process at the moment, but it’s correct to say I’ve been nominated in Airdrie and Shotts.'
- "The SNP is expected to begin a formal selection process in the coming weeks, when other members will have the chance to seek selection as an SNP candidate in the seat, which Ms Nash took for Labour with a majority of 12,408 in 2010. Mr Murray is likely to face a challenge from SNP activist Tom Montgomery for the Airdrie and Shotts nomination.
- "An SNP spokeswoman said: 'There are a number of nominations for the Airdrie and Shotts seat, and once nominations close, members in the area will be balloted to decide on their choice of candidate.'
- "Labour has called on SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon to prevent Mr Murray being selected as a candidate because of his remarks about No voters.
- "However, he said he had also been approached about standing in other constituencies such as Falkirk – a key nationalist target where sitting MP Eric Joyce is standing down after being forced out of Labour following a conviction for assaulting Tory politicians in the Commons.
Candidate's 350-word statement
Craig Murray explained: every candidate for selection is allowed a 350-word statement including a CV to be given to members with their ballot paper. This is the 350-word statement which I had submitted to HQ for distribution to SNP members in Falkirk, prior to my disqualification. It has never been distributed, but I would like every SNP member to read it. If you know one, send it to them:
- My aim is to achieve Independence. The Smith Commission shows we will never be given the control of our own economic resources required to achieve our aims of social justice, or to stimulate the economy, within the Union.
- I think we have to avoid the trap of managerialism – of being just another political party but a little more competent and fair. We should maintain a firm thrust towards the goal of national freedom.
- I will vote with the SNP group, but my voice within the party will be against any coalition agreement with Labour or Tories.
- I want to defeat Labour, not sustain them. I want to end the Union, not to run it.
- Within the SNP we must guard against success leading us to develop our own careerists. Professional politicians in Westminster have become a parasitic class with interchangeable beliefs, out for themselves. There are too many of them – Special Advisers, research assistants etc. The number of politicians paid for by the taxpayer has quadrupled in 30 years.
- The best MPs contribute from a wide variety of life experience.
- I want the dynamic citizen activism we saw in the Yes campaign to lead to a new kind of politics in Scotland. Bubbling up from ordinary folk. And I want that energy from the people to defeat the forces of the mainstream media and the unionists here in the coming election.
- Together, we can do it.
- If selected as our candidate I will immediately move my family home to Falkirk and begin campaigning. Once elected MP, my home will become my constituency office and open to all, and no MP will work harder for his constituents. No Scottish MP will have lower expenses. I shall regularly attend the Commons and speak in debate.
- Craig Murray
- Writer, Human Rights Activist.
- Chairman, Atholl Energy Ltd
- Rector, Dundee University 2007-10
- Honorary Research Fellow, University of Lancaster School of Law 2006-10
- British Ambassador Uzbekistan 2002-4
- HM Diplomatic Service 1984-2005
- MA 1st Class Hons Modern History
- Declined LVO, OBE and CVO as a Scottish nationalist and republican
Maybe that statement is what really got me disqualified?
Barred by the SNP
On 27 December 2014, Craig Murray announced on Facebook:
- "Terribly upset and depressed after being barred from the approved candidates register by the SNP hierarchy for 'lack of commitment to group discipline.'
- "I was asked at assessment whether, as part of a Westminster deal with another party, I would agree to vote for the bedroom tax if instructed by the Party. I replied 'No': end of SNP political career. Problem is, I really believed we were building a different kind of politics in Scotland.
- "I had very, very strong support from ordinary members to be the candidate in Falkirk or in Airdrie, and had 17 requests to stand from other constituencies, several from branch meetings. Wonder what SNP new membership will think of this?
- "My analysis is that those in the SNP who make a fat living out of it are terrified the energy of the Yes campaign may come to threaten their comfy position.
- "I think there is an important debate here on how the 80% of the SNP who are new members can affect its existing gatekeeping structures. No new members were involved in deciding if I was a fit candidate, and the 1500 new members in each of Falkirk and Airdrie were denied any chance to vote for me. Please share this post."
John Goss commented:
- "Amazing. Electoral colleges are the bane of political parties today. It is the reason there is no difference between Labour and Tories. I never trusted the SNP. Alex Salmond has, like so many other Scots of power, said there will be no proper Lockerbie Inquiry. Speaks for itself."
Kerrsed by Morag
On Craig Murray's blog Patrick Haseldine commented:
- Having been disbarred as an SNP candidate, Craig Murray was prescient to have tweeted on 12 December 2014
- “For Morag, Wherever I May Find Her”.
In no particular order, the multi-talented Morag “Rolfe” Kerr is a:
- Peeblesshire vet;
- MI5 operative;
- former Membership Secretary of the SNP (London Branch);
- Admin on Wikipedia;
- 9/11 debunker on the James Randi Educational Forum;
- Secretary Depute of the ‘Justice for Megrahi’ campaign group;
- author of “Adequately Explained By Stupidity? Lockerbie, Luggage and Lies”;
- unsuccessful SNP candidate at Tweeddale West;
- opinionated commentator on 'Wings Over Scotland'; and,
- self-appointed vetter of SNP candidates.
2017 Libel lawsuit
In November 2017, Craig Murray reported that the High Court case in which he had been sued for libel was settled in an agreed joint statement:
- "On 29 April 2016, Jake Wallis Simons and Craig Murray appeared together on Sky News to debate anti-Semitism in the United Kingdom. Following that debate, Dr Wallis Simons issued libel proceedings against Mr Murray. Dr Wallis Simons and Mr Murray have now settled these proceedings.
- "By this statement, Mr Murray accepts that Dr Wallis Simons is not a liar, and Dr Wallis Simons accepts that Mr Murray is not an anti-Semite. They are both pleased to have resolved this dispute amicably."
2020 Contempt charges
A brief procedural hearing on 7 July 2020, conducted online due to the ongoing impact of Covid-19 on the court system, and presided over by Lord Justice Clerk Lady Dorrian alongside Lord Glennie and Lord Turnbull, concluded that Craig Murray will face contempt of court charges on 22 and 23 October 2020. Murray had written before the hearing:
I tried to do a public service in making available to everybody key facts from the Julian Assange extradition hearing and the Alex Salmond trial, which revealed a picture very different from that portrayed in the mainstream media. I find myself wishing now I had somebody to perform the same service for me. I am particularly constrained about what I can say in my own case.
- Notes of Procedural Hearing of @CraigMurrayOrg's case:
- HM Advocate said he thinks what some of the witnesses (for the Defendant Mr. Murray) may say are not relevant to the case.
- Judge said she was "surprised" to see the length of list of witnesses for the defendant.
On 25 August 2020, Craig Murray wrote about "The Great Cover-Up":
The greatest cover-up in modern Scottish history is underway. I am not permitted to say more at present. I will however venture to say that this is massively bigger than just the attempt to imprison me, that most of these documents are also being withheld from the Holyrood Inquiry.
In stating they are banning Alex Salmond’s solicitors also from releasing any of the documents, the Crown is admitting their existence.
I have made a redaction to avoid any further accusation of jigsaw identification.
I am EXTREMELY keen for you to follow tomorrow’s procedural hearing where the question of what evidence is permitted will be addressed. That’s tomorrow, 9.45am British Summer Time. The dial in instructions are here.
Dial (+44)-207 660 8149 Access code 137 161 9904
I really do not know why it is a telephone system and not internet, obviously it is the court and not me. Please do listen in. I realise nothing much happened at the last two procedural hearings, but this should be very different. I am very anxious indeed that the powers that be should not get the impression that public interest is waning.
After another procedural hearing on 26 August 2020, Alison McIntyre tweeted:
On 27 August 2020, Craig Murray responded:
- "Not even me. I listened to it.
- "It goes on and on and on, with endless procedural hearings, the Crown objecting to absolutely everything then making tiny last minute changes needing further hearing, and gobbling up massive legal fees.
- "Wear us down strategy?"
Guilty as charged
On 25 March 2021, during a virtual hearing at the High Court in Edinburgh, Judges Lady Dorrian, Lord Menzies and Lord Pentland found Craig Murray in contempt of court for writing blogs that risked prejudicing Alex Salmond's trial and breaching the court-protected anonymity of complainants in the trial. A sentencing date was set for May 2021.
On 11 May 2021, the High Court in Edinburgh ruled that Murray's coverage of the former First Minister’s trial led to “jigsaw identification” of complainers who made allegations against him, and sentenced Murray to eight months in prison for contempt of court. At the virtual sentencing, Lord Justice Clerk Lady Dorrian explained that Murray deliberately risked jigsaw identification and that revealing complainers’ identities was “abhorrent”. She said it was “particularly so, given the enormous publicity which the case in question attracted and continues to attract” and said his actions "strike at the heart of the fair administration of justice" and created a risk that future complainers would be reluctant to come forward in high-profile cases.
Craig Murray was initially given 48 hours to hand himself in to a police station in Edinburgh, but after a challenge by his lawyer Roddy Dunlop QC, this was extended to three weeks so Murray can appeal the sentence to the UK Supreme Court. Murray was also ordered to surrender his passport by 19 May 2021, after Dunlop told the court he was due to appear as a witness in a hacking trial in Spain involving Julian Assange, the WikiLeaks founder.
"Sad day for Scottish justice"
Writer, journalist and documentary filmmaker John Pilger said: “In these dark times, Craig Murray’s truth-telling is a beacon.
“He is owed our debt of gratitude, not the travesty of a prison sentence which, like the prosecution of Julian Assange, is a universal warning.”
Professor Noam Chomsky said: “Craig Murray has compiled a remarkable record of courage and integrity in exposing crimes of state and working to bring them to an end.
“He fully merits our deep respect and support for his achievements.”
“There are deep rooted structures and historic inequalities that scar Scotland. They require change and that cannot await independence, especially when those legal structures are already devolved.”
Gordon Dangerfield, a Solicitor Advocate who does not represent Murray, added: “The way in which Craig Murray has been singled out by the prosecuting authorities in this case is a national scandal which should concern anyone who cares about the rule of law in Scotland.
“The whole concept of ‘jigsaw identification’ also needs to be rethought and I fully support Craig’s appeal.”
Appeal to UK Supreme Court
On 8 June 2021, Craig Murray tweeted:
"Judgement is here.
"Leave to appeal to the Supreme Court is refused by Lady Dorrian.
“For me, the death of millions of people in the Middle East, and Alastair Campbell’s role in the deliberate manufacture of a dossier of lies to cause an aggressive war that led to those deaths, were life-changing events. It led me to pursue the end of the imperialist British state.”
Craig Murray (23 March 2019) 
“The naive view of the world as “goodies” and “baddies”, with our own ruling class as the good guys, is for the birds. I witnessed personally in Uzbekistan the willingness of the UK and US security services to accept and validate intelligence they knew to be false in order to pursue their policy objectives.”
Craig Murray (13 March 2018) 
Torture and Kidnapping
Following publication of the Senate Intelligence Committee’s Report on the CIA’s Use of Torture in December 2014, Craig Murray said “Can I just say how pleasant it is to be vindicated ten years after being sacked by Jack Straw for opposing the torture and extraordinary rendition programme – which Blair and Straw claimed I was inventing.”  In an audio interview on 12 December 2014, Craig Murray recounted his experience to Scottish journalist and broadcaster Derek Bateman examining the legacy of Labour in a week when revelations about state-sanctioned torture by the CIA under Bush/Cheney further threaten the reputation of the Blair government.
False flag attacks
Craig Murray announced in 2010 that he would summarily remove any comments about 9/11 from his website, stating his own position that "I do not believe that the US government, or any of its agencies, were responsible for 9/11. It would just need too many people to be involved. Someone would have objected." Peter Presland wrote in 2010 that "Craig's problem is that, for some reason, he refuses to connect the dots"..
Murray's blind spot for false flag operations has not stopped his noticing that these event are exploited (but not organised) by Western governments. After the 2015 mass murder in Paris, he observed that "Cameron’s announcement of 15% budget and staff increases for the security services was made immediately after the Paris attacks, but was plainly not something thought up in a few hours. The plans for mass surveillance had already been announced, and would have to be staffed. This kind of sickening political opportunism is the true disrespect to the innocent dead."
- Full article: Dr Rola
- Full article: Dr Rola
“This video of Robert Stuart is a must see. Let me pin my colours to the mast and say that I am absolutely convinced that the BBC did deliberately and knowingly fake evidence of chemical attacks.”
Craig Murray (9 March 2016) 
- Full article: Lockerbie: What Really Happened#Craig Murray
- Full article: Lockerbie: What Really Happened#Craig Murray
Craig Murray has publicly supported the Al Jazeera documentary, "Lockerbie: What Really Happened?" which concluded that the Lockerbie bombing was ordered by Iran and carried out by the PFLP-GC, with help from Hezbollah, and if Libya had a role, it was secondary. Murray blogged that "The information on Lockerbie published in today’s Daily Mail from an Iranian defector, matches precisely what I was shown in a secret intelligence report in the FCO just around the time of the first Iraq war. It was decided that this would be kept under wraps because the West needed Iran and Syria’s quiescence in the attack on Iraq."
Having spoken in support of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange in August 2012 who, to avoid extradition to Sweden, had taken up residence in the Ecuadorean embassy in London, Craig Murray condemned the Foreign Secretary's "astonishing lie" about the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention which had ruled in favour of Assange on 5 February 2016. Murray wrote:
- "To my astonishment, the FCO Official Spokesman has just confirmed to me that the FCO stands by Philip Hammond’s statement that the members of the UNWGAD are lay persons, and not lawyers. Even though every single one of them is an extremely distinguished lawyer."
Skripal Affair and the Integrity Initiative
“We have a programme, the Integrity Initiative, whose entire purpose is to pump out covert disinformation against Russia, through social media and news stories secretly paid for by the British government. And we have the Skripals’ MI6 handler, the BBC, Porton Down, the FCO, the MOD and the US Embassy, working together in a group under the auspices of the Integrity Initiative. The Skripal Case happened to occur shortly after a massive increase in the Integrity Initiative’s budget and activity, which itself was a small part of a British Government decision to ramp up a major information war against Russia. I find that very interesting indeed.”
Craig Murray (21 December 2018) 
Craig Murray is the author of two books:
Murder in Samarkand
Craig Murray was the United Kingdom’s Ambassador to Uzbekistan until he was removed from his post in October 2004 after exposing appalling human rights abuses by the US-funded regime of President Islam Karimov. This is a candid and at times shocking memoir, in which he exposes what is being done in the name of the "War on Terror".
The Catholic Orangemen of Togo (and Other Conflicts I Have Known)
This is an autobiographical prequel to "Murder in Samarkand" that covers the period 1998 to 2002. It exposes the links between blood diamonds, crime & British mercenary involvement in Africa, and argues that the disregard Tony Blair showed for both British and international law in dealing with Sierra Leone prefigured the disaster of Iraq.
Censorship by Tim Spicer
In July 2008, law firm Schillings, representing Tim Spicer, wrote to Craig Murray's publishers, Mainstream Publishing Company (Edinburgh) Ltd., threatening legal action over his forthcoming book, at the time provisionally titled The Road to Samarkand. Chapters two "Arms to Africa" and four "The Sandline Affair" deal with the Sierra Leone "Arms to Africa" affair in depth. At the time of these events, Craig Murray was Deputy High Commissioner, British High Commission, West Africa Branch. In Autumn 1998 he was the UK Representative at the Sierra Leone Peace talks held in Togo, Liberia and Sierra Leone which included direct negotiation with the RUF terrorist leadership. He therefore had first-hand experience of these matters from a senior Foreign Office position.
Some negotiation between Murray and Mainstream followed, during which it was ascertained precisely which parts of the proposed book had to be removed for Mainstream to proceed with publication. Murray refused to be censored. He published the 'offending' parts on his blog  (also available at this Wikispooks page) and decided to self-publish the book. It was first posted as a pdf on a number of web sites  before being released in printed form as "The Catholic Orangemen of Togo" .
Documents by Craig Murray
|Title||Document type||Publication date||Subject(s)||Description|
|Document:Bigger than 911||article||23 October 2010||HMS Astute grounding||Some light relief at the expense of the MOD and its Trident nuclear missile carrying submarine fleet.|
|Document:A Moment in History||blog post||26 June 2019||Labour Friends of Israel|
Parliamentary Labour Party
|It is ESSENTIAL that every Labour Party member reading this blog acts NOW to try to get rid of those dreadful Blairite MPs. If you do not act, the historic moment will be missed and the chance to move England and Wales away from neoliberalism may be permanently surrendered.|
|Document:All Pretence is Over in Persecution of Assange||blog post||14 February 2018||Wikileaks|
|“Lady” Arbuthnot has perhaps performed an unwitting public service by the brazen nature of her partiality, which exposes beyond refutation the charade of legal process behind the effort to arrest Assange, in reality over the publication of USA secrets.|
|Document:American Presidents||blog post||4 November 2020||Joe Biden|
US/2020 Presidential election
|On the US election I showed my limitations with a tweet yesterday evening predicting Joe Biden would win fairly comfortably, and Trump would concede with good grace. I was wrong.|
|Document:An Unpopular Article||blog post||1 October 2019||Boris Johnson|
|Throwing the kitchen sink of accusations against Boris Johnson obscures with chaff the allegations of real wrongdoing, like directing public funds and assistance to the company of a woman with whom he was in a sexual relationship. That should be investigated.|
|Document:Assange Bail Application Today||blog post||25 March 2020||Nils Melzer|
Westminster Magistrates' Court
International Bar Association
|If the authorities now refuse to allow him out on bail during the COVID-19 outbreak, I do not see how anybody can possibly argue there is any intention other than to cause his death.|
|Document:Assange Must Not Also Die in Jail||blog post||13 August 2019||John Pilger|
|Many of the same people who are relieved by Jeffrey Epstein’s death would like to see Julian Assange dead too.|
|Document:Backing the Wrong Horseman||blog post||Israel|
|The neo-con drive to dominate the Middle East, in alliance with Saudi Arabia and Israel, has caused an apocalyptic level of death and destruction, which I put (an extremely conservative figure) at 5 million dead. Now compare that to the worldwide death toll from coronavirus: 220,000. Let me say that again. Western aggressive wars to coronavirus: 5,000,000 versus 220,000.|
|Document:Beyond Words||blog post||8 April 2020||Julian Assange|
|Nobody cultivates her own anonymity more than Magistrate Vanessa Baraitser who has her existence carefully removed from the Internet almost entirely. Yet she seeks to destroy the peace and young lives of Julian Assange’s family.|
|Document:Censorship and Freedom of Speech||blog post||1 October 2008||Censorship|
|Document:Chelsea and Julian are in Jail. History Trembles.||blog post||12 April 2019||Julian Assange|
|Julian Assange said nothing during the whole brief proceedings, other than to say “Not guilty” twice, and to ask a one sentence question about why the charges were changed midway through this sham “trial”. Yet Judge Michael Snow condemned Assange as “narcissistic”.|
|Document:Civil Liberty Vanishes||blog post||6 May 2020||Julian Assange|
|"Serious questions have to be asked about why the UK government has developed its own unique app, universally criticised for its permanent central data collection and ability to identify individuals from their unique codes. That this is overseen by NHSX CEO Matthew Gould who held all those secret meetings with Liam Fox and Adam Werritty, including with Mossad, frankly stinks."|
|Document:Epstein's Death Must Be the Start, not the End, of the Investigation||blog post||11 August 2019||Alan Dershowitz|
|It is a great shame that in the UK, the Establishment has been able to characterise the falsifications of Carl Beech as discrediting the entire notion of historical child sexual abuse.|
|Document:Ex-Intelligence Officers, Others See Plusses in WikiLeaks Disclosures||statement||7 December 2010||Wikileaks||A statement of support for Wikileaks. "The big question is not whether Americans can 'handle the truth.' We believe they can..."|
|Document:Exclusive: I Can Reveal the Legal Advice on Drone Strikes, and How the Establishment Works||article||9 September 2015||Benjamin Netanyahu|
|Craig Murray reveals how Sir Daniel Bethlehem continues to bring a Zionist perspective to any legal advice emanating from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office|
|Document:First Recorded Successful Novichok Synthesis was in 2016 – By Iran, in Cooperation with the OPCW||blog post||17 March 2018||Iran|
Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons
Chemical Weapons Convention
|Beginning in late 2016, Iranian scientists succeeded in synthesising a number of Novichoks in full cooperation with the OPCW. This makes a complete nonsense of Theresa May’s “of a type developed by Russia” line, used to Parliament and the UN Security Council.|
|Document:Has the Elite’s Slavish pro-Israel Agenda Finally Gone Too Far||Blog post||25 February 2019||"Antisemitism"|
2006 Lebanon War
|Israeli destruction of Palestinian olive trees in the occupied territories is almost as heinous as the continuing killing and imprisonment of Palestinian children. Every morning ask yourself this question: "How many children has the Israeli “Defence” Force killed since the MSM last reported one?"|
|Document:How To Spot A Twitter Troll||Wikispooks Page||2 July 2019||MI6|
|Exposure is the simple way to nullify the vast state propaganda programmes on social media|
|Document:How to spot a Twitter troll||blog post||2 July 2019||MI6|
The 77th Brigade
|Exposure is the simple way to nullify the vast state propaganda programmes on social media|
|Document:Huawei Hypocrisy||blog post||7 May 2019||GCHQ|
National Security Agency
|Former Deputy PM Nick Clegg said GCHQ's ability "to hack anything from handsets to whole networks … needs to be much better understood".|
|Document:I Am Obliged to Reconsider My Support for the European Union||Article||3 October 2017||Spain|
|Today, and with a greater sadness than you can imagine, I withdraw my support for membership of the European Union|
|Document:I Go to Stand My Trial||Blog post||2 November 2017||Mark Lewis|
Jake Wallis Simons
|The Trial starts on Tuesday 7 November at the Royal Courts of Justice in the Strand, High Court Queen’s Bench Division, and lasts for two or three days. By the time I come back online the Tories will have appointed their next Disgraced Former Defence Secretary in Waiting.|
|Document:Importing Jihadi Terror to the UK – Cui Bono||blog post||25 September 2018||White Helmets|
2017 Manchester bombing
|Importing the White Helmets into the UK is obviously nuts if your purpose is to minimise jihadi activity in the UK|
|Document:Index on Disgrace||Article||22 April 2018||BBC|
University of Dundee
Save the Children
Index on Censorship
|"We thus have the extraordinary spectacle of a coordinated government and media onslaught on anybody who doubts their entirely fact free narratives. Public trust in the state and corporate media hits new lows, which is the happy part of this story."|
|Document:Interfering with Laura Kuenssberg||blog post||25 November 2019||Boris Johnson|
|It's no coincidence that it is precisely the old and the poorly educated that are the targets of Dominic Cummings’ "Brexit election” strategy. If it comes off, Laura Kuenssberg and her fellow hacks will have proven that the power of the mainstream media is as yet unbroken.|
|Document:Internalised Danger||blog post||6 November 2020||"Climate change"|
US/2020 Presidential election
Green New Deal
|America urgently needs a radical dose of social and economic reform as championed by Bernie Sanders. It needs the Green New Deal, and the world needs a real commitment in Washington to environmentalism.|
|Document:It’s Not Socialism. It’s Another Mega Wealth Transfer.||blog post||23 March 2020||Boris Johnson|
|Amid the COVID-19 panic, it has hardly been noticed that Carphone Warehouse went bust, with 2,900 people losing their jobs. Its co-founder, David Ross, is of course the billionaire that Boris Johnson claimed paid for his luxury holiday to Mustique, whereas Ross claimed he only organised it.|
|Document:Let’s Move On From Boris||blog post||28 May 2020||Tony Blair|
|"Boris Johnson on the Dominic Cummings debacle: 'It is now time to move on… the country wants to move on.' If a politician tells you to 'move on' from a subject, it is a gigantic red flag that you should do precisely the opposite."|
|Document:Matthew Gould and the Plot to Attack Iran||webpage||14 November 2011||Matthew Gould|
|Document:Media Freedom? Show me the MSM Journalist Opposing the Torture of Assange||blog post||7 September 2020||Julian Assange|
|At a time when the government is mooting designating Extinction Rebellion as Serious Organised Crime, right wing bequiffed muppet Keir Starmer was piously condemning the group, stating: “The free press is the cornerstone of democracy and we must do all we can to protect it.”|
|Document:Metropolitan Police on 'Chepiga' and 'Mishkin'||blog post||12 October 2018||Bellingcat|
2018 Amesbury poisonings
|I remain of the view that the best way forward would be for Putin to negotiate conditions under which Boshirov and Petrov might voluntarily come to the UK for trial|
|Document:Mohammed Bin Salman: The Truth Behind The Reformist Facade||blog post||8 March 2018||Donald Trump|
Mohammed bin Salman
|Then something remarkable happened which the world mainstream media has almost entirely ignored. Despite Saudi sponsored adverts all over US media portraying named senior Qataris as terrorist sponsors, and despite strong Israeli pro-Saudi lobbying, Donald Trump suddenly called Mohammed bin Salman to heel.|
|Document:Momento Mori – Unpopular Thoughts on Corona Virus||blog post||7 March 2020||COVID-19|
Hong Kong flu
|Consider this: 100% of those who contract COVID-19 are going to die. 100% of those who do not contract COVID-19 are also going to die. The difference in average life expectancy between the two groups will prove to be only very marginal. That is because the large majority of those who die of COVID-19 will already be nearing the end of life or have other health problems.|
|Document:Muellergate and the Discreet Lies of the Bourgeoisie||Blog post||1 April 2019||Wikileaks|
|The capacity of the mainstream media repeatedly to promote the myth that Russia caused Clinton’s defeat, while never mentioning what the information was that had been so damaging to Hillary, should be alarming to anybody under the illusion that we have a working “free media”.|
|Document:Novichok, Navalny, Nordstream, Nonsense||blog post||3 September 2020||Vladimir Putin|
Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons
Hamish de Bretton-Gordon
|The US and Saudi Arabia have every reason to instigate a split between Germany and Russia at this time. Navalny is certainly a victim of international politics. That he is a victim of Putin I tend to doubt.|
|Document:On the Pavement with Wikileaks||blog post||7 April 2019||Wikileaks|
|Pretty well all of the Western media is going to want to focus on these false anti-Assange narratives, and they will be determined to give as little attention as possible to the fact he is a publisher facing trial for publishing leaked state documents which revealed state wrongdoing. It is a classic and fundamental issue of freedom of speech and freedom of the press.|
|Document:Peak Kinnock||Article||19 September 2016||Tony Blair|
Save the Children
|"11,000 people saving £2 a month might not save a dying little baby, but would exactly pay the £264,000 per year salary of Neil Kinnock’s daughter-in-law Helle Thorning-Schmidt, Chief Executive of Save the Children and wife of MP Stephen Kinnock. Misery for some is a goldmine for others."|
|Document:People Need to Reclaim the Internet||blog post||19 October 2020||Julian Assange|
|The development of social media gatekeeping of internet traffic is one of the key socio-political issues of our time. We need the original founders of the Internet to get together with figures like Richard Stallman and – vitally – Julian Assange – to find a way we break free from this.|
|Document:Pollokshields Shows How To Achieve Independence||blog post||14 May 2021||Boris Johnson|
|Pollokshields showed how the people of Scotland will eventually take their own Independence. The “illegal” way in British law. The Gandhi way. The Mandela way. The people’s way. You cannot impose UK law on the people of Scotland.|
|Document:President Abbas’ Rebuke to Theresa May over Palestine||blog post||24 September 2017||Israel|
Jake Wallis Simons
|The ignored part of the Balfour Declaration to which Abbas referred is of course: “It being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine.”|
|Document:Probable Western Responsibility for Skripal Poisoning||blog post||28 April 2018||Sergei Skripal|
|Those of us who have been in the belly of the beast and have worked closely with the intelligence services, really do know what they and the British government are capable of. They are not “white knights”.|
|Document:So Where is the Swedish Warrant?||blog post||27 April 2019||Julian Assange|
|All those Blairite MPs who seek to dodge the glaring issue of freedom of the media to publish whistleblower material revealing government crimes, by hiding behind trumped-up sexual allegations, are left looking pretty stupid.|
|Document:That Leaked Labour Party Report||blog post||20 April 2020||Labour Party|
Governance and Legal Unit
Information Commissioner's Office
|That Leaked Labour Party Report proves conclusively that Sam Matthews’ allegations of unwarranted interference from Corbyn’s office to block anti-semitism action are malicious lies.|
|Document:The Armoured Glass Box is an Instrument of Torture||blog post||Vanessa Baraitser|
|I think there is a corner of the mind of this daughter of dissidents from apartheid that rejects her own role in the torture of Julian Assange, and is continually urging “I had no choice, I had no agency”. Those who succumb to do evil must find what internal comfort they may.|
|Document:The Broader View Reveals the Ugliest of Prospects||blog post||17 June 2019||Julian Assange|
|I find it hard to believe that I live in times where Julian Assange suffers as he does for telling the truth, where a dedicated anti-racist like Jeremy Corbyn is subjected to daily false accusations of racism and to US and security service backed efforts to thwart his democratic prospects, where the most laughable false flag is paraded to move us towards war with Iran, and where there is no semblance of a genuinely independent media.|
|Document:The Four Horsemen Gallop By||blog post||11 April 2018||Theresa May|
|The notion that Britain will take part in military action against Syria with neither investigation of the evidence nor a parliamentary vote is worrying indeed. Without Security Council authorisation, any such action is illegal in any event.|
|Document:The Freedom of Courage||blog post||1 October 2017||Corporate media|
G4S Secure Solutions
|When you see the right wing Establishment worldwide, plus the entire mainstream media, united against ordinary people as we see today in Catalonia, it's a no-brainer which side you should be on.|
|Document:The Gulf of Credibility||blog post||14 June 2019||Iran|
|That Iran would target a Japanese ship and a friendly Russian crewed ship is a ludicrous allegation|
|Document:The Incredible Disappearance of Shai Masot||blog post||2 June 2019||Liam Fox|
|The open attempt to stifle all criticism of Israel, and in effect to make adherence to zionism a pre-condition for membership of the Labour Party – or indeed acceptance in wider society – is a vicious form of authoritarianism that should have been repudiated robustly from day one.|
|Document:The Intellectual Dishonesty of the Guardian||comment||31 October 2017||The Guardian|
|... further results|
Quotes by Craig Murray
|2020||“As the Establishment feels its grip slipping, as people wake up to the appalling economic exploitation by the few that underlies the very foundations of modern western society, expect the methods used by the security services to become even dirtier. You can bank on continued ramping up of Russophobia to supply “the enemy”. As both Scottish Independence and Jeremy Corbyn are viewed as real threats by the British Establishment, you can anticipate every possible kind of dirty trick in the next couple of years, with increasing frequency and audacity.”||December 2018||Craig Murray's blog|
|Julian Assange||“[...] the most lucid man I know is now not capable of having a rational conversation is extremely alarming.”||31 May 2019|
|Tony Blair||“Thatcher deliberately and cruelly wrecked the social democratic society in which I grew up, with the aim of destroying any ability for working people to be protected against the whims of the wealthy. But Thatcher never introduced privatisation into the NHS or state schools – that was her acolyte Blair. She maintained free university education in England and Wales. That was destroyed by Blair too.”||25 July 2019||Craig Murray's blog|
|"Philip Cross"||“My view is that Philip Cross probably is a real person, but that he fronts for a group acting under his name. It is undeniably true, in fact the government has boasted, that both the MOD and GCHQ have “cyber-war” ops aiming to defend the “official narrative" against alternative news media, and that is precisely the purpose of the “Philip Cross” operation on Wikipedia. The extreme regularity of output argues against “Philip Cross” being either a one man or volunteer operation. I do not rule out however the possibility he genuinely is just a single extremely obsessed right wing fanatic.”||21 May 2018||Craig Murray's blog|
|Drug smuggling||“I stood at the Friendship Bridge at Termez [Uzbekistan] in 2003 and watched the Jeeps with blacked-out windows bringing the heroin through from Afghanistan, en route to Europe. I watched the tankers of chemicals roaring into Afghanistan. Yet I could not persuade my country to do anything about it.”|
|Immigrant||“I remain incensed at the success of the elite in conning the deprived that their poverty is caused by immigrants, whereas it is caused by massive inequality of wealth.”||16 December 2018||Craig Murray's blog|
|Inequality||“We are moving into an era of politics where the foundations of consent which underpin western states are becoming less stable. The massive growth in wealth inequality has led to an alienation of large sections of the population from the political system.”||3 December 2019||Craig Murray's blog|
|Integrity Initiative||“offers us a glimpse into the very dirty world of surveillance and official disinformation. If we actually had a free media, it would be the biggest story of the day.”||December 2018||Craig Murray's blog|
|Intelligence agency||“There is something very wrong indeed with the UK security services, which are most certainly not a force for freedom or justice. That MI6 can be headed by as extreme a figure as Dearlove, underlines the threat that the security services pose to any progressive movement in politics.”||11 January 2019||Craig Murray's blog|
|Islam||“The British had been deliberately exploiting and exacerbating the Shia/Sunni divide as early as 1836 to the Imperial purpose.”||20 December 2018||Craig Murray's blog|
|Ben Nimmo||“Ben Nimmo works for the Atlantic Council, funded inter alia by NATO. He is also on a retainer of £2,500 per month from the Integrity Initiative, in addition to payments for individual pieces of work. For his attack on Scottish Nationalists Nimmo was therefore paid by the Atlantic Council (your taxes through NATO), by the Integrity Initiative (your taxes) and by the Herald (thankfully shortly going bankrupt)... Nimmo’s role as witchfinder-general for Russian Bots appears very remunerative. His August 2016 invoice to The Institute for Statecraft, apparently the 71st invoice he had issued to various neo-con bodies that year, was for £5,000.”||22 December 2018||Craig Murray's blog|
|Ben Nimmo||“Nimmo’s track record is simply appalling. In this report for the Atlantic Council website, he falsely identified British pensioner @Ian56789 as a “Russian troll farm”, which led to Ian being named as such by the British government, and to perhaps the most surreal Sky News interview of all time. Perhaps still more remarkably, Nimmo searches for use of the phrase “cui bono?” in reference to the Skripal and fake Douma chemical weapons attacks. Nimmo characterises use of the phrase cui bono as evidence of pro-Assad and pro-Kremlin bots and trolls – he really does. Most people would think to consider cui bono indicates a smattering more commonsense than Nimmo himself displays.”||28 August 2018||Craig Murray's blog|
|Russophobia||“The complete and unmitigated irrationality of the current epidemic of Russophobia does nothing to reduce its incredible virulence, as it continues to infect the entire political and media class. There is a zero chance that Russia will launch an attack on the UK, yet the entire corporate and state media is leading today with the “need” to spend billions against that most unlikely threat.”||22 January 2018||Craig Murray's blog|
|Robert Stuart||“Let me pin my colours to the mast and say that I am absolutely convinced that the BBC did deliberately and knowingly fake evidence of chemical attacks.”||Craig Murray's blog|
|US/Foreign policy||“The US/Saudi/Israeli alliance against Iran is the most important geo-political factor in the region today. It is high time this alliance stopped both funding ISIS and pretending to fight it; schizophrenia is not a foreign policy stance.”||20 December 2018|
|US/Foreign policy||“Anybody who believes that a country's internal democracy is the determining factor in whether the West decides to move for violent regime change in that country, is a complete idiot. Any journalist or politician who makes that claim is more likely to be a complete charlatan than a complete idiot. In recent years, possession of hydrocarbon reserves is very obviously a major factor in western regime change actions.”||January 2019||Craig Murray's blog|
|Mark Urban||“Mark Urban’s piece for Newsnight tonight was simply disgusting; it did not even pretend to be more than a propaganda piece on behalf of the security services, who had told Urban (as he said) that Yulia Skripal's phone “could have been” tapped by the Russians and they “might even” have listened to her conversations through the microphone in her telephone. That was the “new evidence” that the Russians were behind everything. As a former British Ambassador I can tell you with certainty that indeed the Russians might have tapped Yulia, but GCHQ most definitely would have. It is, after all, their job, and billions of our taxes go into it. If tapping of phones is seriously presented as evidence of intent to murder, the British government must be very murderous indeed.”||5 July 2018|
Event Participated in
|International Festival of Whistleblowing Dissent and Accountability||8 May 2021||8 May 2021||Internet|
|Document:Bloggers Under Siege - Craig Murray Charged with Contempt of Court||blog post||27 April 2020||Ludwig De Braeckeleer||From Lockerbie to the Russia Hoax, Craig Murray has of course upset people in high-places, including some who work for Intelligence Agencies.|
|Document:Craig Murray and 9-11||article||30 January 2010||Peter||A reply to Craig Murray's article explaining his embargo on any further discussion of 9-11 in the comments section of his blog|
|Document:Defend Freedom of Expression – Support Mark Hirst||Article||15 May 2020||Tommy Sheridan||If we don’t speak up now in defence of those guilty of no crime other than expressing their opinions and speaking truth to power then we will all one day be caught in the tangled web of thought control and authoritarian rule which will render us powerless to oppose injustice and resist draconian restrictions on our freedoms.|
|Document:Dissident British ex-diplomat Craig Murray indicted for blog posts in Kafkaesque case||Article||27 April 2020||Ben Norton||“The state believes it has finally discovered a way to put me in prison without the inconvenient hurdle of a jury of my peers. This really is the epitome of bad law. To use it against freedom of speech is disgusting.”|
|Document:Eye Witness to the Agony of Julian Assange||Article||2 October 2020||John Pilger||In the Assange trial, the defendant was caged behind thick glass, and had to crawl on his knees to a slit in the glass, overseen by his guard, to make contact with his lawyers. His message, whispered barely audibly through face masks, was then passed by post-it the length of the court to where his barristers were arguing the case against his extradition to an American hellhole.|
|Document:The great con that ruined Britain||Article||3 April 2016||Peter Hitchens||Peter Hitchens, the repentant Thatcherite, has second thoughts about privatisation: if it’s all been so beneficial, why do so many of the containers that arrive in British ports, full of expensive imports, leave this country empty?|
|Document:Wikipedia & the Spooks – The Remake||blog post||22 May 2018||Ludwig De Braeckeleer||In a video interview with George Galloway, journalist Neil Clark explains that "SlimVirgin" is back and teaming up with "Philip Cross". That is subtle or what?|
|File:Smith.pdf||May 2006||Craig Murray|
- https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/ Craig Murray's Blog
- Vicious Cycles (US Wars and War Crimes From Vietnam to Iraq) - A radio show featuring Craig Murray on why he resigned as UK ambassador to Uzbekistan
- "Profile Craig Murray" The Guardian
- "Decade of Dissent"
- Craig Murray's Web site
- "Former British envoy is suspended"
- "The Torture Cover-Up"
- "Ex-ambassador Craig Murray to be SNP candidate"
- "Terribly upset and depressed after being barred from the approved candidates register by the SNP hierarchy"
- "Falkirk SNP members vote on 2015 General Election candidate"
- "Craig Murray: Kerrsed by Morag"
- "Morag should be expelled from SNP"
- "Morag is a plant not a genuine SNP member"
- "The End of the Affair"
- "Court sets date for Craig Murray trial over Alex Salmond case"
- "I Need A Craig Murray"
- "Notes of Procedural Hearing of @CraigMurrayOrg's case"
- "The Great Cover-Up"
- "It goes on and on and on, with endless procedural hearings"
- "Alex Salmond inquiry: Former diplomat Craig Murray guilty of breaching court order"
- "Craig Murray: Blogger and former diplomat sentenced to eight months in jail for contempt of court relating to Alex Salmond trial"
- "Former ambassador jailed for Alex Salmond case blogposts"
- "Craig Murray jailed for eight months over reporting of Alex Salmond trial"
- "Imprisonment is suspended until 6 July while we apply direct to the Supreme Court to hear the appeal"
- https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2019/03/please-cancel-your-subscriptions/ Craig Murray's blog
- https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2018/03/russian-to-judgement/ Craig Murray's blog
- "The Senate Committee’s Report on the C.I.A.’s Use of Torture"
- https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2014/12/senate-report-on-torture Craig Murray's blog Senate Report on Torture, December 2014
- "A shocking tale of torture and indifference"
- Document:Craig Murray and 9-11
- "IRAN blew up Lockerbie jet - not Libya, says defector: Ayatollah 'used Syrian-based terror group to bomb Pan Am 103 in revenge attack'"
- "Craig Murray speaking @ the Ecuador Embassy" 19/08/2012
- "Philip Hammond’s Astonishing Lie"
- "Kafka 2016"
- https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2018/12/british-government-covert-anti-russian-propaganda-and-the-skripal-case/ Craig Murray's Blog
- "Books by Craig Murray"
- "Murder in Samarkand"
- "The Catholic Orangemen of Togo"
- File:Schillings.pdf - "Messrs Schillings legal threat to Murray's prospective publishers."
- Key parts of the text of "The Road to Samarkand" which Craig Murray refused to have censored
- Craig Murray's blog post "Censorship and Freedom of Speech"
- File:The Catholic Orangemen of Togo.pdf- The Catholic Orangemen of Togo - full text in pdf format
- File:Catholic Orangement of Togo - frontpages.pdf - The Catholic Orangemen of Togo - Front pages
- The Catholic Orangemen of Togo - ISBN 978-0-9561299-0-1