|Sir Clement Freud|
|Born||Clement Raphael Freud|
|Died||2009-04-15 (Age 84)|
London, United Kingdom
Commenters on this blog directly caused the exposure of Clement Freud in the ITV story. I published an anodyne obituary in 2009 giving my memories of Freud. One commenter wrote:
- "He was a notorious old goat and his pursuit of young women could verge on the sinister. I met one of his young ‘victims’ who told me about a job interview with him turning into a very traumatic experience."
And a second wrote the startling:
- "Writing as one of his 1000s of sexual ‘victims’, still surviving, terrified as I write for fear he is not yet quite yet dead – the man was an evil, conniving, ruthless user for his own bottomless ego of all he came into contact with. Our children – boys and girls are all that much safer for his demise. And that is just the tip of an iceberg of political and media dirty dealings that reaches into the heart of the broken Britain he has left behind him. His family will now, unfortunately, reap the rage and revenge of those he destroyed and their much needed justice for his many heinous – still untold – actions."
Six years later I was contacted by a journalist working for ITV who had leads on Freud and looking for more evidence. He had dug up those comments on my blog. Using the magic of the internet, I was able to trace the last commenter and put them in touch, with their permission, with the ITV team.
Rector of Dundee University
I also told them an anecdote I myself recalled. I was a young First Year Rep on Dundee University Students Association Council while Clement Freud was Rector. One day the then President of the Students Association, Ian Morris, came out of his office in a terrible mood after a phone call from Freud, saying that Freud had asked him to line up female students for him and was trying to use him as “a pimp”. This was not paedophilia but it was unpleasant – Freud was 35 years older than the students he was targeting.
It then all went quiet for a year before ITV contacted me this morning to tell me the story was running.
Villa in Praia da Luz
It is hard to know what to make of Freud owning a holiday villa close to where Madeleine McCann disappeared. Clement was apparently not in Portugal at the time. When you add in the fact that the McCanns’ sleazy “spokesman”, Clarence Mitchell, works for Freud’s son Matthew, the coincidences do add up. I am not jumping to any conclusions at present. But I found the following fascinating:
- "Clement Freud assured Kate McCann she had nothing to fear from the cadaver dogs giving a positive response inside the McCann’s hire car, hired after Madeleine 'disappeared'. They had no evidential value. 'So what are they going to do? One bark for yes, two barks for no?' asked Freud.",
One of Freud's victims, Vicky Hayes, said she became concerned about his motives after learning that the former Liberal MP had befriended the McCanns in the aftermath of their daughter’s disappearance. Hayes said:
- “I read Kate McCann’s book and was immediately upset and anxious that Clement Freud had invited the McCanns to his home. He was a private man, not the type to suddenly befriend a couple who had intense media attention. It really jarred with me, left me feeling very uneasy. He had a home in Praia da Luz, but why invite them and cook for them?”
Freud died at his home whilst working on his weekly Racing Post column. His public funeral service took place at the Anglican church of St Brides, Fleet Street - The National journalists church. It was explained that Freud had never practiced his family's Jewish faith and that the venue was appropriate because his father had enjoyed a 55-year journalistic career. The service was followed by a private cremation. 
- Swaine, Jon (16 April 2009). "Sir Clement Freud dies at 84". The Daily Telegraph. London. Retrieved 17 April 2009.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "plain text").
- Steel, David (16 April 2009). "Obituary: Sir Clement Freud". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 16 April 2009.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "plain text").
- Freud, Clement (2001). "Chapter 1". Freud Ego. BBC Worldwide.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "plain text").
- "How Clement Freud invited Kate and Gerry McCann for lunch after Madeleine disappeared"
- "Clement Freud, My Part in his Downfall"
- "Madeleine McCann: Police Did Nothing About Links To Paedophile Clement Freud, Victim Claims"