| Kurt Campbell |
|Born||August 27, 1957|
|Alma mater||Oxford/Brasenose College, University of California San Diego, Yerevan State University|
|Founder of||Center for a New American Security|
|Member of||Aspen Strategy Group, Center for a New American Security/People, Council on Foreign Relations/Members, Trilateral Commission|
"Asia Tsar" under president Joe Biden
Kurt Michael Campbell is an American diplomat and businessman, who formerly served as Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs in the Obama administration. He is the chairman and CEO of The Asia Group, LLC, which he founded in February 2013.
Campbell was appointed White House "Asia co-ordinator" or "Asia Tsar" on the first day of the Biden administration.
Kurt Michael Campbell was born on August 27, 1957. He received a B.A. from the University of California, San Diego, a certificate in music and political philosophy from the University of Yerevan in Soviet Armenia, and a doctorate in international relations from Brasenose College, Oxford on a Marshall Scholarship.
Campbell worked in several capacities in government, including as Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Asia and the Pacific, Director on the National Security Council Staff, Deputy Special Counselor to the President for the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), and as a White House fellow at the United States Department of the Treasury.
Campbell served as an officer in the U.S. Navy on the Joint Chiefs of Staff and in the Chief of Naval Operations Special Intelligence Unit. He was also associate professor of public policy and international relations at the John F. Kennedy School of Government and Assistant Director of the Center for Science and International Affairs at Harvard University.
Campbell was hired at the Center for Strategic and International Studies think-tank as one of its senior vice-presidents, as director of its International Security Program, and as its Henry A. Kissinger Chair in National Security Policy.
Campbell went on to become the chief executive officer and co-founder of the Center for a New American Security (CNAS), a national security think tank launched in January 2007.
On June 26, 2009, Campbell was confirmed by the Obama I administration as Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs. His last day in office was February 8, 2013.
Campbell was also director of the Aspen Strategy Group and the chairman of the editorial board of the Washington Quarterly, and was the founder and principal of StratAsia, a strategic advisory company focused on Asia.
Campbell is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, the Wasatch Group, and the International Institute for Strategic Studies.
In 2018-2019, Campbell was Kissinger Fellow at the McCain Institute for International Leadership.
- The Pivot: The Future of American Statecraft in Asia, Kurt M. Campbell, (NYC: Twelve, 2016) ISBN 978-1455568956
- Difficult Transitions: Foreign Policy Troubles at the Outset of Presidential Power, Kurt M. Campbell and James B. Steinberg, (Washington, D.C.: Brookings, 2008)
- Hard Power: The New Politics of National Security, Kurt M. Campbell and Michael E. O'Hanlon, (Washington, D.C.: Basic Books, 2006)
- To Prevail: An American Strategy for the Campaign against Terrorism, Kurt M. Campbell and Michèle Flournoy, Principal Authors, Center for Strategic and International Studies (Washington, D.C.: CSIS Press, 2001)
- The Nuclear Tipping Point, Kurt M. Campbell, Robert J. Einhorn, Mitchell B. Reiss, eds., (Washington, D.C.: Brookings, 2004)
- At the outset of his influence on the Biden administration, he saw the D10 club of countries as "most urgent for questions of trade, technology, supply chains, and standards", and militarily sought to expand "the so-called Quad".
Event Participated in
|Bilderberg/2022||2 June 2022||5 June 2022||Washington DC|
Mandarin Oriental Hotel
|The 68th Bilderberg Meeting, held in Washington DC, after an unprecedented two year hiatus during which a lot of the Bilderberg regulars were busy managing COVID-19|
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20141224145642/http://www.the-asia-group.com/team_member/1/
- ↑ https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/20/joe-biden-promotes-foreign-policy-tsar-sign-pivot-asia/
- ↑ https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/01/27/britain-could-join-asian-nato-proposal-expand-membership-counter/
- ↑ https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/00966425/officers
- ↑ Campbell, K. M., Patel, N. and V. J. Singh, 2008. “The Power of Balance: America in iAsia.” ‘’Center for a New American Security’’.
- ↑ Kissinger Fellowship Taps Kurt Campbell to Tackle China "Business Wire" January 29, 2018
- ↑ https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2021-01-12/how-america-can-shore-asian-order