| Renmin University |
|one of the leading humanities and social science-focused universities in China|
Renmin University of China, often referred to as RUC (Zhōngguó Rénmín Dàxué), or colloquially Renda, is a research university located in Haidian District of Beijing. RUC is classified as a Class A university under the Double First Class University Plan and is generally considered one of the premier universities in the country. RUC is entitled 25 national key disciplines, ranks No.5 of China, 13 national key research bases of humanities and social sciences, ranks No.1 of China, and 6 national teaching and research bases of fundamental arts disciplines, ranks No.1 of China.
The origins of Renmin University of China date back to Shanbei Public School , established in 1937 by the Communist Party of China in order to "bring up hundreds of thousands of revolutionary comrades to meet the needs of the War of Resistance against Japanese Aggression." Later it was renamed as the North China United University and North China University. Several institutions were merged to form a single Renmin University of China in 1950. Wu Yuzhang, Cheng Fangwu, Guo Yingqiu, Yuan Baohua, Huang Da, Li Wenhai, Ji Baocheng, Chen Yulu had successively held the position of principal. The current principal of Renmin University of China is Liu Wei.
Renmin University maintains collaborative relationships and exchange programs with many well-known universities around the world, such as Queen's University, Boston College Law School, Columbia University, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Princeton University, University of Geneva, McGill University, Queen Mary University of London, King's College London, Waseda University, Carleton University, the University of Chicago, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, and the University of Michigan and Yale University. In January 2010, Zhang Lei, a graduate of Renmin University and Yale School of Management (SOM), donated US$8,888,888 to the SOM, the largest alumni gift the school had received. Under the auspices of the gift, Renmin University students study at Yale through a summer program.
Renmin University School of Labor and Human Resources maintains an exchange relationship with the Huamin Research Center and the School of Social Work at Rutgers University. Every year since 2010, study abroad students and faculty from Rutgers exchange with their Renmin University counterparts. Renmin University is a popular destination for visiting foreign dignitaries. During his state visit to China in January 2008, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown visited Renmin University with Premier Wen Jiabao to talk with students, scholars, athletes and entrepreneurs.
The School of International Studies offers a Double Masters in Asian and European Affairs with King's College London.
The research and opinions of Renmin University professors are frequently cited in influential media outlets, such as the New York Times. Professors cited in the New York Times in recent years include Chen Weidong, Hou Dongming, Jin Canrong, Pan Suiming, Shi Yinhong, Zhang Ming, Zhou Xiaozheng, among others, and their expertise covers law, economics, sociology, political science and international relations.
Renmin University students are actively engaged in academic and exchange programs overseas, such as the National Model United Nations conference held annually in the New York City.
The University of Chicago Center in Beijing, which opened in September 2010, is located at the Culture Plaza on the Renmin University campus.
- Liu Yu - Political scientist at Tsinghua University, author of national bestseller "Details of Democracy." Liu earned PhD from Columbia University, conducted postdoctoral work at Harvard and taught at Cambridge University for three years.
- Qian Liqun - Professor, Department of Chinese Language and Literature, Peking University.
- Wu Shuqing - President of Peking University (1989-1996), economist.
- Zheng Wentong - Professor, University of Florida Levin College of Law. Zheng earned PhD in economics and JD from Stanford University.
- Zhou Qiren - Economist (PhD, UCLA), Director of the National School of Development (previously known as the Chinese Center for Economic Research, CCER), Peking University.
Law and politics
- Han Xu - Ambassador to the United States (1985-1989).
- Liu Yandong - Current highest-ranking female politician in China, and the only woman with a seat on the Politburo.
- Ma Kai - Chairman of the National Development and Reform Commission (2003-2008).
- Xiao Yang - Chief Justice of the Supreme People's Court (1998-2003, 2003-2008).
- Wang Ju-hsuan - Minister of Council of Labor Affairs of the Republic of China (2008-2012).
- [[Chen Yu-Lu] - Deputy governor of People's Bank of China (2015- ).
Business and media
- Duan Yongping - entrepreneur and investor, founder of Subor (English: Xiao Ba Wang; and BBK. Duan and his wife Liu Xin donated US$30 million to Renmin University in March 2010.
- Hu Shuli ) - Founder and editor-in-chief of the prestigious business magazine, Caijing the most powerful and popular financial magazine.
- Liu Lefei ( - Chairman, Citic Private Equity Funds Management.
- Pan Gongsheng ) - Executive Vice President, Agricultural Bank of China. Pan led the AgBank's US$22.1 billion IPO (the largest IPO in the world) in 2010, and the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China's US$21.9 billion IPO (then world record) in 2006.
- Wang Qing (王庆) - Chief Economist, Morgan Stanley Greater China (2007- ).
- Xiang Junbo - Chairman, Agricultural Bank of China (2009- ).
- Xiao Gang - Chairman, Bank of China (2003- ).
- Yang Weiguang - President, China Central Television (CCTV) (1991-1999).
- Zhang Lei - Founder and President of Hillhouse Capital Management, donated $8,888,888 to School of Management, Yale at 2010.
- Liu Qiangdong - Founder and President of JD.com, the largest Chinese B2C e-commercial platform.
- Li Xueling - Founder and President of www.yy.com, YY is an online social entertainment platform that engages users through audio, video and text in a wide range of online group activities, such as music shows, live video streaming and multi-player gaming. With a capacity to support over one million participants concurrently, YY offers users a more immersive, interactive, enriching and engaging entertainment experience through its large social community.
- Wang Xiaobo - Modern writer, popular and influential among China's youth. He is also the husband of Li Yinhe, renowned sociologist and sexologist.
- Zhang Jie - Writer, graduated from RUC in 1960. Her work has won many prizes.
- James Veneris and Samuel David Hawkins - American soldiers in the Korean War who were captured by the North, then defected to China at the time of armistice.
- Guo Jingjing - 3m Springboard and Synchronized Springboard gold medals winner at the 2004 Summer Olympics
- Wang Junxia - Winner of a gold medal and a silver medal in woman's track in the 1996 Summer Olympics; record holder of the woman's 10000m from 1993 with a time of 29:31:78.
- Zeng Jinyan - Human rights activist, one of the Time 100, 2007; wife of Hu Jia, recipient of the Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought in 2008.
- Zhang Zhixin - Dissident imprisoned and executed for criticising the idolisation of Mao Zedong during the Cultural Revolution.
- Liang Yan - National Women's volleyball team member
- Dai Yi - Historian
- Lin Yue - Gold medalist, Olympian, 10m platform Diving
- Huo Liang - Gold medalist, Olympian, 10m Platform Diving
- Li Ting - Gold medalist, Olympian, 10m Platform Diving
- Peng Bo - Gold medalist, Olympian, 3m Springboard Diving
- Wu Minxia - Gold medalist, Olympian, 3m Sprinboard Diving
- Sang Xue - Gold medalist, Olympian, 10m platform Diving
- Robert S. Paywala - Asst. Coordinator, Research and Actuarial Department, National Social Security and Welfare Corporation, Republic of Liberia
Alumni on Wikispooks
|Chinese Triple Bilderberger academic|
|Keyu Jin||13 November 1982||China||Economist||WEF YGL economist|
|He Liu||25 January 1952||China||Politician|
|Chinese economist/politician who attended the 2014 Bilderberg and gave a "special address" at the 2023 WEF AGM|
- ↑ http://archive.is/JueXC
- ↑ http://www.hanban.org/confuciousinstitutes/node_6608.htm
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20110426152202/http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2010/jan/07/som-announces-largest-alumni-gift-to-date/
- ↑ http://www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/eng/zyxw/t401890.htm
- ↑ http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught-courses/double-masters-in-asian-and-european-affairs-ma.aspx
- ↑ http://www.sfruc.edu.cn/5328.html
- ↑ http://www.uchicago.cn/
- ↑ http://www.chinaeconomicreview.com/china-eye/2010_03_05/Couple_raises__30M_for_Renmin.html
- ↑ http://www.morganstanley.com/about/press/articles/4867.html