| Sir Kim Darroch |
|Born||Nigel Kim Darroch|
County Durham, England
|Alma mater||Abingdon School, Durham University|
Sir Kim Darroch is a UK diplomat who was made UK Ambassador to the US in January 2016. Craig Murray termed his "rise to the top of the FCO ... in fact a startling example of the politicisation of the civil service."
Having stated on Twitter that "we will no longer deal with him", President Trump wrote on 8 July 2019: "The wacky Ambassador that the UK foisted upon the United States is not someone we are thrilled with, a very stupid guy." The following day, Sir Kim Darroch resigned.
In November 2016, following the 2016 United States presidential election, a memo by Sir Kim Darroch to Prime Minister Theresa May was leaked in which he said the President-elect of the United States, Donald Trump, could be influenced by the British government. The following week, Trump tweeted that Nigel Farage should serve as British Ambassador to the United States, which was rejected by Downing Street, which said that there is no vacancy and that the UK has "an excellent ambassador to the US".
On 7 July 2019, secret diplomatic cables from Darroch to various members and officials of the UK government, dating from 2017 to 2019, were leaked to the Mail on Sunday, including statements such as the Trump administration was 'inept and insecure'. This drew widespread criticism with Nigel Farage saying Darroch was "totally unsuitable" for office and Sir Bill Cash saying the comments were "toxic". On 8 July 2019 Donald Trump tweeted that Darroch was "not liked or well thought of within the US" and that "we will no longer deal with him".
On 9 July 2019, Boris Johnson refused to answer whether he would keep Kim Darroch as Britain’s ambassador to the US following the heightened diplomatic tensions between the two nations, as Conservative Party leadership rival Jeremy Hunt told Donald Trump to treat the UK with “respect”.
Mr Johnson, the frontrunner to succeed Theresa May as prime minister, said in the only head-to-head televised debate of the Conservative Party leadership race “I’m not going to be so presumptuous” about what date Sir Kim would leave his job. “I and I alone will decide who takes important and politically sensitive jobs,” he said.
The former foreign secretary added it was of “fantastic importance” for Britain to have a “close partnership with the US”. He also defended the UK’s apolitical civil service, saying it was “absolutely vital” that official advice “should not be leaked” and “is not politicised” by ministers.
Mr Hunt, the outside candidate to get into Number 10, lambasted the president for his “disrespectful and wrong” comments regarding Mrs May and Sir Kim, saying it was the prerogative of the British government to choose its ambassadors. He insisted Sir Kim would remain in post if he were to succeed Mrs May.
His intervention came as Sir Kim was forced to withdraw from a planned White House meeting on Tuesday 9 July 2019 after the president stepped up his attacks on the UK’s ambassador, calling him “wacky”, “a very stupid guy”, and “a pompous fool” foisted on the US by Britain.
Name: Nigel Kim Darroch KCMG
Date of Birth: 30 April 1954
Married to: Vanessa Claire
Children: one son 1983, one daughter 1986
Darroch is a former head of the Foreign Office News Department. In 2003-4 he was a member of the Departmental Board of the Foreign Office.
In December 2006 Darroch was moved to Brussels:
- Mr Kim Darroch CMG has been appointed as the United Kingdom Permanent Representative to the European Union at Brussels in succession to Sir John Grant KCMG, who will be transferring to another Diplomatic Service appointment. Mr Darroch will hold the personal rank of Ambassador and will take up his new appointment in autumn 2007.
- Last month's reshuffle at the highest levels of the Civil Service gave an indication of the shape of a Brownite diplomatic corps. Sir Nigel Sheinwald, Tony Blair's key foreign policy adviser, will move to Washington in the autumn, where Brown prides himself on personal relationships with individuals such as Condoleezza Rice and Hillary Clinton. At the same time, Kim Darroch, the PM's adviser on Europe, will move to Brussels. Both men will be consulted, but they will consider their wings seriously clipped.
- Already, Jon Cunliffe, Brown's second permanent secretary at the Treasury, is being tipped to replace Sheinwald, with Ivan Rogers, a former director of European policy at the Treasury now working for Citigroup, lined up to replace Darroch. The appointment of economists rather than career diplomats to these key advisory posts would mark a sea change in the diplomatic culture of Downing Street.
- 2004-06 EU Adviser to the Prime Minister and Head of the Cabinet Office European Secretariat
- 2003-04 FCO, Director-General for European Union Affairs
- 2000-03 FCO, Director for European Union Affairs
- 1998-00 FCO, Head of News Department
- 1997-98 Counsellor (External Relations), UK Permanent Representation to the EU, Brussels
- 1995-97 FCO, Head of Eastern Adriatic Department
- 1993-95 FCO, Assistant then Deputy Head of European Union Department
- 1989-92 First Secretary, Rome
- 1987-89 FCO, Private Secretary to Minister of State dealing with Middle East
- 1985-86 FCO, Maritime, Aviation and Environment Department
- 1980-84 Third later Second later First Secretary, Tokyo (External Affairs and Defence)
- 1976-79 FCO
House of Lords career
- ^ Written Answers July 2006, in response to a question from Kevin McNamara, cited in Craig Murray, A class war? August 1, 2006.
- ^ Senior Diplomatic Service Appointments Monday 11 December 2006 09:40 Foreign and Commonwealth Office (National) News
- ^ Martin Bright If Gordon Brown has a world view, it's high time he shared it The Observer, Sunday January 7, 2007
Wikipedia is not affiliated with Wikispooks. Original page source here
- "The Darroch Affair"
- "Darroch, Sir (Nigel) Kim, (born 30 April 1954), HM Diplomatic Service"
- ”Can Kim Darroch continue as ambassador to US after Trump leak?"
- "It Sure Is an Interesting Time for Trump to Be Feuding With the British Ambassador"
- "Kim Darroch Resigned After Insulting Donald Trump—but These Burns by American Diplomats Were Even Harsher"
- "Donald Trump recommends Nigel Farage for British ambassador to the United States – but No10 tells him 'there's no vacancy'"
- "Ministers rejects Donald Trump's call to appoint Nigel Farage ambassador"
- "Theresa May meets with British ambassador to the US following Donald Trump remarks"
- "Britain's man in the US says Trump is 'inept': Leaked secret cables from ambassador say the President is 'uniquely dysfunctional and his career could end in disgrace'"
- "Trump administration is 'inept and insecure', says UK ambassador"
- "Cables from UK's ambassador to the US blast Trump as 'inept,' 'incompetent'"
- "Farage tweet"
- "Trump’s rift with UK ambassador Kim Darroch deepens"
- "Trump sharpens attack on UK ambassador Kim Darroch over emails"
- "Boris Johnson evades answer on keeping Kim Darroch as US ambassador"