| Satellite |
(communications technology, surveillance)
DMSP Block-5D2, picture credit: US Air Force
|Interest of||Maxar Technologies|
A satellite is a piece of technology that orbits the earth. These are used for a variety of purposes, including telecommunication, surveillance and while the UN 1967 Outer Space Treaty prohibits the placing of:
"nuclear weapons or other weapons of mass destruction in orbit or on celestial bodies or station them in outer space in any other manner;"
- most likely covert warfare purposes as well. Concepts for the weaponization of space have been discussed in the past. By June 1961, three-and-a-half years after the launch of Sputnik 1, the United States Space Surveillance Network cataloged 115 Earth-orbiting satellites. By October 2020 the official number is 2787 active satellites.
Satellites for surveillance were one of the first usages for the new technology when it began to mature in the early 1960s, the resolution of those early models was able to resolve objects at 5 to 10 cm (under ideal conditions). The current "official" estimate for the resolution of spy satellites is 1cm.
Full motion video
By 2018 reports started to emerge that private companies, among others financed by Bill Gates, want to create a satellite system that will monitor most of the surface of the earth 24/7. It stands to reason that it is possible, that a system that does this already exists for American intelligence (given the financing of the past decades), and to a lesser extent some other countries as well.
New satellite based radar technology brings the resolution of images to a millimeter level (or below that) and makes it possible to see into buildings.
Private individuals can order the services of a company that has a satellite in space for the right money.
Anti satellite weapons
Taking out satellites can be done via advanced air defense systems, or specialized satellites that are equipped for this purpose.
|George Carlin||“Hello. We’re the ones who control your lives. We make the decisions that affect all of you. Isn’t it interesting to know that those who run your lives would have the nerve to tell you about it in this manner? Suffer, you fools. We know everything you do, and we know where you go. What do you think the cameras are for? And the global-positioning satellites? And the Social Security numbers? You belong to us. And it can’t be changed. Sign your petitions, walk your picket lines, bring your lawsuits, cast your votes, and write those stupid letters to whomever you please; you won’t change a thing. Because we control your lives. And we have plans for you. Go back to sleep.””||George Carlin|
- ↑ https://www.unoosa.org/oosa/en/ourwork/spacelaw/treaties/introouterspacetreaty.html
- ↑ https://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2004-06/rods-god/
- ↑ https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/these-air-force-rods-from-god-could-hit-with-the-force-of-a-nuclear-weapon/
- ↑ https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/rods-god-why-mach-5-hypersonic-tugeston-bombs-were-never-dropped-172663
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20000901071135/http://ston.jsc.nasa.gov/collections/TRS/_techrep/TP-1999-208856.pdf
- ↑ https://www.offiziere.ch/?p=38380
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20190913172957/https://hackaday.com/2019/09/12/watching-the-watchers-the-state-of-space-surveillance/
- ↑ https://www.cnet.com/how-to/turns-out-satellite-surveillance-only-sounds-like-a-major-privacy-concern/
- ↑ https://www.rt.com/news/424644-satellite-surveillance-earth-livestream/
- ↑ https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/02/fleets-radar-satellites-are-measuring-movements-earth-never
- ↑ https://www.focus.de/panorama/diese-himmelskoerper-wecken-aengste-koennen-neue-us-spionagesatelliten-durch-waende-sehen_id_12796175.html
- ↑ https://gawker.com/5720619/george-clooney-deploys-satellite-army-to-combat-violence-in-sudan
- ↑ https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/the-show-that-warned-us-enemy-of-the-state-was-a-docume-1616566985
- ↑ https://gizmodo.com/for-just-250-a-week-you-can-rent-your-very-own-satelli-747311931
- ↑ https://www.cnet.com/news/satellites-are-starting-to-watch-your-every-move-privacy/
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20210921202054/https://www.bellingcat.com/resources/2021/09/21/bellingcat-can-now-access-specialised-satellite-imagery-tell-us-where-we-should-look/
- ↑ https://www.newsweek.com/russia-new-anti-aircraft-system-can-destroy-satellites-commander-says-s-500-1515260
- ↑ https://www.wired.com/2008/01/inside-the-chin/