| Jo Cox MP |
|Born||Helen Joanne Leadbeater|
22 June 1974
Batley, West Yorkshire, England
|Died||16 June 2016 (Age 41)|
Birstall, West Yorkshire, England
|Alma mater||Pembroke College (Cambridge), London School of Economics|
|Member of||WEF/Young Global Leaders 2009|
Jo Cox was a UK politician murdered in the run up to the 2016 EU Referendum. Echoing the assassination of Sweden's Anna Lindh, the event appears not to have greatly influenced the outcome, and was officially carried out by a "lone nut".
Helen Joanne "Jo" Cox was a UK Labour Party politician. Jo Cox was the Member of Parliament (MP) for the constituency of Batley and Spen from the May 2015 General Election until she was brutally murdered on 16 June 2016.
On 17 June 2016, David Cameron paid tribute to MP Jo Cox, calling her "one of our most compassionate campaigners". Speaking alongside the prime minister in Mrs Cox's West Yorkshire constituency, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn labelled her death "an attack on democracy" and announced that Parliament would be recalled on Monday 20 June 2016.
- Full article: Jo Cox/Murder
- Full article: Jo Cox/Murder
On 16 June 2016, Jo Cox MP was shot and stabbed multiple times outside the public library in Birstall, West Yorkshire, where she was due to hold a surgery with her constituents. She was left in a critical condition and died from her injuries approximately an hour later. A 52-year-old man, identified by the Daily Telegraph and The Independent as Thomas "Tommy" Mair, was arrested and charged with her murder, reportedly giving his name as "Death to traitors, freedom for Britain" when he appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court on 18 June 2016.
We share the widespread sadness and anger at what appears to be the assassination of Jo Cox MP by a right wing terrorist, and want to express our condolences to her husband Brendan, her children Lejla and Cuillin and her many friends.
The Electronic Intifada, the Council for Arab-British Understanding (CAABU), the Palestinian Solidarity Campaign (PSC), and Medical Aid for Palestinians (MAP) have all published tributes to Cox who was an outspoken advocate for Syrian and Palestinian human rights.
Last year she put down an EDM on Gaza to mark the first anniversary of the 2014 bombing, and she called the Conservative government’s legal threats to curtail the boycott of Israel "a gross attack on democratic freedoms. It is our right to boycott unethical companies.”
On 12 September 2016, the Labour Party emailed a timetable for the selection of a candidate to replace Jo Cox:
- "Following the very sad and untimely passing of Jo Cox MP, the Labour Party has now agreed a timetable to select a candidate for the by-election which will be held in due course.
- "All members of the Labour Party who have been a member for at least 12 months prior to 16 June 2016, the date of Jo's death, may submit an application.
- "You can download an application form here (you will need to log in to membersnet). Completed applications should be sent to email@example.com by 12 noon on Friday 16 September. This deadline will be strictly adhered to.
- "Candidates selected for interview will have to attend that interview in London on Monday 19 September. Shortlisted candidates will then be invited to a hustings meeting on the evening of Friday 23 September in the constituency, where local members will select their candidate."
On 16 September 2016, Helle Thorning-Schmidt (aka Mrs Stephen Kinnock) was reported to have applied to Batley and Spen CLP to be selected as candidate to succeed the murdered MP in the forthcoming by-election.
The following week, it was announced that the by-election would take place on 20 October 2016 and that former soap-actress Tracy Brabin had been selected as Labour's prospective parliamentary candidate.
Tracy Brabin held the seat for Labour with 17,506 votes (85.8%). However, turnout for the by-election was only 20,567 (25.8%) - one of the lowest by-election turnouts since the Second World War. All other candidates polled less than 5% of the vote and lost their deposits. Brabin was heckled by some of the other candidates as she delivered her speech at the declaration of the result.
Jo Cox MP was married to Brendan Cox, who served as an adviser on international development to Gordon Brown during the latter's premiership. Jo Cox, a former aide to Brown’s wife Sarah, headed the Labour Women’s Network where she was ‘equalities and discrimination’ adviser.
The London School of Economics posted this tribute on their Facebook page:
- "LSE is greatly saddened to learn of the death of Jo Cox MP who studied at our LSE European Institute in the late 1990s. Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with her husband Brendan, who is an alumnus of the LSE Department of Government, their children, wider family and friends."
|Document:Peak Kinnock||Article||19 September 2016||Craig Murray||"11,000 people saving £2 a month might not save a dying little baby, but would exactly pay the £264,000 per year salary of Neil Kinnock’s daughter-in-law Helle Thorning-Schmidt, Chief Executive of Save the Children and wife of MP Stephen Kinnock. Misery for some is a goldmine for others."|
- "No. 61230". The London Gazette. 18 May 2015.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "Scribunto"). London Gazette uses unsupported parameters (help)
- "Batley & Spen Parliamentary constituency". BBC News. Retrieved 7 May 2015.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "Scribunto").
- "MP Jo Cox dies after gun and knife attack"
- "Jo Cox MP death: David Cameron and Jeremy Corbyn unite in tributes"
- "MPs pay tribute to Jo Cox MP"
- "Jo Cox death: MPs return to Parliament to pay tribute"
- "Jo Cox ‘died for her political views’, says husband Brendan Cox in first interview"
- "Jo Cox MP dead after shooting attack". BBC News. 16 June 2016. Retrieved 16 June 2016.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "Scribunto").
- Withnall, Adam (16 June 2016). "Jo Cox shot: Man arrested after Labour MP shot and stabbed in Birstall, West Yorkshire - latest updates". Independent. Retrieved 16 June 2016.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "Scribunto").
- "Jo Cox MP death: Thomas Mair in court on murder charge"
- "Labour Friend of Palestine Jo Cox slain"
- "Caabu mourns the loss of Jo Cox, a dedicated campaigner for Syrian and Palestinian rights"
- "Statement on Jo Cox from Hugh Lanning, PSC Chair"
- "Remembering Jo Cox MP" Medical Aid for Palestinians
- "Early Day Motion on Israeli bombardment of Gaza" 15 June 2015
- "We mourn and will miss Jo Cox" Free Speech on Israel, 17 June 2016
- "Former PM to succeed murdered MP?"
- "Soap star Tracy Brabin to stand in Jo Cox by-election"
- Stone, Jon (17 June 2016). "Jo Cox death: Parties stand down in killed Labour MP's seat as Corbyn and Cameron call for unity". The Independent. Retrieved 17 June 2016.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "Scribunto").
- "Major parties will not contest Jo Cox's seat". Yorkshire Post. 17 June 2016. Retrieved 17 June 2016.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "Scribunto").
- "Batley and Spen by-election: Labour's Tracy Brabin elected as new MP"
- "Tracy Brabin is heckled while paying tribute to her late predecessor Jo Cox"
- "New charity scandal as Save The Children executive quits after women's complaints of 'inappropriate behaviour'"
- Sims, Alexandra (16 June 2016). "Jo Cox dead: MP's husband Brendan Cox says wife was killed by 'hate'". Independent.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "Scribunto").
- "Husband posts picture on Twitter of MP wife outside their houseboat". The Daily Telegraph. 16 June 2016. Retrieved 16 June 2016.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "Scribunto").
- "LSE tribute on Facebook"