Jump to navigation Jump to search
1864 < 1865 < 1866 < 1867 < 1868 < 1869 < 1870 <1871 < 1872 < 1873 < 1874 > 1875 > 1876 > 1877 > 1878 > 1879 > 1880 > 1881 > 1882 > 1883 > 1884
|( 1870s: ) 1874|
- January – The Pangkor Treaty (also known as the Pangkor Engagement), by which the British extended their control over first the Sultanate of Perak, and later the other independent Malay States, is signed.
- March 15 – France and Viet Nam sign the Second Treaty of Saigon, further recognizing the full sovereignty of France over Cochinchina.
- March 18 - Hawaii signs a treaty with the United States, granting exclusive trading rights.
- March – The Young Men's Hebrew Association in Manhattan (which still operates today as the 92nd Street Y) is founded.
- September 14 – Battle of Liberty Place: In New Orleans, former Confederate Army members of the White League temporarily drive Republican Governor William P. Kellogg from office, replacing him with former Democratic Governor John McEnery. U.S. Army troops restore Kellogg to office five days later.
- October 9 – The Treaty of Bern establishes the General Postal Union, to coordinate the exchange of international mail.
- November 2 – The first issue of Japanese language newspaper Yomiuri Shinbun is published in Tokyo, Japan.
- November 4 – Democrats gain control of the United States House of Representatives for the first time since 1860.
- November 25 – The United States Greenback Party is established as a political party, made primarily of farmers financially hurt by the Panic of 1873.
- December 1 – Iceland is granted a constitution, and limited home rule from Denmark.
- December 29 – General Martínez and Brigadier General Luís Daban stage a pronunciamento at Sagunto, and proclaim Isabel's son Alfonso as King of Spain. Subsequently, the Madrid garrison follows suit, and the First Spanish Republic comes to an end.
- The Agra Canal opens in India.
- DDT is first synthesized.
- The Supreme Council 33° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry of Canada is founded.
|University of Guelph||The Veterinary medicine program at the University of Guelph was ranked 4th in the world in 2015.|
|Switzerland/Supreme Court||The supreme court of the Swiss Confederation|
|Adelaide University||110 Rhodes Scholars|
|Eastern Kentucky University||Public||Regional Kentucky university|
|Mayer Amschel de Rothschild||29 June 1818||6 February 1874||Politician|
- "Chief Justice Edward Douglass White", by William H. Forman, Jr., in ABA Journal (March 1970) p261