Stop the War Coalition
|Stop the War Coalition|
Stop the War Coalition (StWC; informally Stop the War) is a British group established on 21 September 2001, shortly after the September 11 attacks, to campaign against unjust wars.
War on Terror
StWC has campaigned against the wars that are part of the so-called War on Terror of the United States and its allies: the war in Afghanistan, the Iraq War, the NATO bombing of Libya and Britain's bombing in Syria. The demonstration against the Iraq War on 15 February 2003, organised with Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) and the Muslim Association of Britain (MAB), has been claimed to be the largest public demonstration in British history.
- Tariq Ali, StWC Vice-President, writer and activist
- Tony Benn, StWC President (2001-2014), former Labour MP and Cabinet Minister
- Andrew Burgin, StWC press officer
- Louise Christian, StWC Vice-President, Campaigning lawyer
- Katy Clark, former Labour Party MP
- Anna Chen, former press officer
- Jeremy Corbyn, former StWC officer and chair (2011–15), Labour Party MP and party leader
- Tam Dalyell, StWC Vice President, former Labour Party MP
- George Galloway, StWC Vice-President, former Labour and Respect Party MP
- Lindsey German, StWC convenor, former Socialist Workers Party (SWP) Central Committee member, Respect candidate in the 2004 London mayoral election
- Kate Hudson, StWC officer, chair of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND), former member of the Communist Party of Great Britain.
- Caroline Lucas, former StWC Vice-President, Green Party MP (resigned as patron, December 2015)
- Alice Mahon, StWC Vice President, former Labour MP
- Kamal Majid, StWC vice president, founder member of the Stalin Society
- Andrew Murray, StWC chair, Chief of Staff of Unite the union, Communist Party of Great Britain member
- Chris Nineham, StWC officer, former SWP Central Committee member
- John Rees, StWC officer, former SWP Central Committee member, Respect National Secretary
- Mark Rylance, Stop the War Patron and actor
- Keith Sonnet, StWC Vice-President, Deputy General Secretary of UNISON
- Walter Wolfgang, StWC member, Vice-chair Labour CND, Vice-president CND and member of the Labour Party's National Executive Committee
- Salma Yaqoob, Birmingham City Councilor, Respect co-founder
|Document:15 times when Jeremy Corbyn was on the right side of history||Article||29 July 2015||Paul Simpson||"The important thing is how we bring about peace, not posturing. You do not bring about peace in any part of the world without talking to people you don't agree with." (#SundayPolitics, 19 July 2015)|
|Document:British military presence near Venezuela ‘extremely concerning’||Article||5 February 2019||Phil Miller||“Britain’s recent history of catastrophic military interventions should rule out any UK participation in Donald Trump’s attempts to destabilise a democratically elected government in Venezuela.”|
|Document:Corbyn receives International Peace Prize in Geneva||Article||9 December 2017|
|Document:Jeremy Corbyn's Acceptance Speech 2013 Gandhi International Peace Award||Speech||9 January 2014||Jeremy Corbyn||Gandhi Award to a Man of Peace: Leader of the Labour Party, Jeremy Corbyn|
- "'Million' march against Iraq war", BBC News, 16 February 2003
- "Jeremy Corbyn: Why I'm standing down as Chair of Stop the War Coalition"
- Hughes, Laura (8 December 2015). "Caroline Lucas resigns from Stop the War, after finding herself unable to support group's 'recent positions'". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 8 December 2015.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "plain text").
|This is a page stub. Please add to it.|