| Carole Cadwalladr |
|Interests|| • democracy|
• fake news
Carole Cadwalladr is a British investigative journalist and features writer for The Observer and formerly worked at The Daily Telegraph. She participated in "Tackling Tools of Malign Influence", an event hosted by the Integrity Initiative a few days before they were exposed by the First Integrity Initiative Leak.
2019 TED talk
In an April 2019 talk at the Technology, Entertainment and Design (TED) conference in Vancouver, journalist Carole Cadwalladr dug into one of the most perplexing events in recent times: the UK's super-close 2016 vote to leave the European Union. Tracking the result to a barrage of misleading Facebook ads targeted at vulnerable Brexit swing voters — and linking the same players and tactics to the 2016 US presidential election — Cadwalladr called out the "gods of Silicon Valley" for being on the wrong side of history and asked: are free and fair elections a thing of the past?
On 18 April 2019, Carole Cadwalladr tweeted:
- "This is not democracy. Lies spread in darkness paid for with cash from God knows where." Two days ago I accused Facebook of breaking democracy. @TEDchris told them they were free to respond at any time. So far? Nothing but silence...
Carole Cadwalladr has reported about SAGE; on 26 April 2020 she tweeted:
"Ben Warner: 2 years ago he was doing physics postdoc. Now he’s a ‘data scientist’ advising govt & sitting on SAGE. His brother, Marc - who worked with Cummings on Vote Leave - won £250m NHS contract when Cummings entered Downing Street. And now the contract for NHS tracking app."
A Document by Carole Cadwalladr
|Title||Document type||Publication date||Subject(s)||Description|
|Document:Trump, Assange, Bannon, Farage… bound together in an unholy alliance||Op-ed||29 October 2017||Wikileaks|
Strategic Communication Laboratories
|(You got this? Farage visited Trump, then Assange, then Rohrabacher. Rohrabacher met Don Trump’s Russian lawyer, Natalia Veselnitskaya. Then Assange. And is now trying to close the circle with Trump.)|
Event Participated in
|Tackling Tools of Malign Influence||1 November 2018||2 November 2018||London|
|Integrity Initiative conference about "Russian Propaganda"|
|Document:Muellergate and the Discreet Lies of the Bourgeoisie||Blog post||1 April 2019||Craig Murray||The capacity of the mainstream media repeatedly to promote the myth that Russia caused Clinton’s defeat, while never mentioning what the information was that had been so damaging to Hillary, should be alarming to anybody under the illusion that we have a working “free media”.|
- "Carole Cadwalladr". The Guardian. Retrieved 19 November 2017.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "CSS").
- "Facebook's role in Brexit and the threat to democracy"
- "Nothing but silence from Facebook"
- "Ben Warner: 2 years ago he was doing physics postdoc. Now he’s a ‘data scientist’ advising govt & sitting on SAGE"