Jump to navigation Jump to search
1887 < 1888 < 1889 < 1890 < 1891 < 1892 < 1893 <1894 < 1895 < 1896 < 1897 > 1898 > 1899 > 1900 > 1901 > 1902 > 1903 > 1904 > 1905 > 1906 > 1907
|( 1890s: ) 1897|
In the late 1890's. the British public is targeted by a well orchestrated propaganda campaign which tries to racket up the fear of a foreign invasion.
- January 8 – Lady Flora Shaw, future wife of Governor General Lord Lugard in a Newspaper contest, officially proposes the name "Nigeria," to be given to the British protectorate the Niger Coast Protectorate.
- February 16 – The French conquer the island of Raiatea and capture the rebel chief Teraupoo, ending the Leeward Islands War and bringing all of the Society Islands under their control.
- February 18 – Benin is put to the torch by the British Army's Benin Expedition. Ovonramwen, Oba of Benin, is exiled from his kingdom and the Benin Bronzes are carried off to London.
- February 27 – The French military governor of Madagascar, Joseph Gallieni, exiles Queen Ranavalona III to Réunion, abolishing the monarchy the next day.
- March 4 – William McKinley is sworn in as the 25th President of the United States.
- Yamaichi Securities founded in Japan, although a hundred years later, this securities company was closed and disbanded.
- May 14 (or May 15) – - The Scientific-Humanitarian Committee (Wissenschaftlich-humanitäres Komitee, WhK) is founded in Berlin as an LGBT campaigning organization, the first such in history.
- June 22 – The Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria is celebrated in the United Kingdom. No other British monarch will celebrate such a jubilee until Elizabeth II in 2012.
- July 17 – The Klondike Gold Rush begins when the first successful prospectors arrive in Seattle.
- August 10 – At the Bayer pharmaceutical company, pharmacist Felix Hoffmann successfully synthesizes acetylsalicylic acid, after isolating a compound from a plant of the Spiraea family; the company markets it under the brand name "Aspirin".
- August 29 – The First Zionist Congress convenes in Basel, Switzerland.
- August 31 – Thomas Edison is granted a patent for the Kinetoscope, a precursor of the movie projector
- September 10 – Lattimer massacre: A sheriff's posse kills 19 unarmed immigrant miners in Pennsylvania.
- September 20 – Greece and Turkey sign a peace treaty to end the Greco-Turkish War.
- October 2 – The first issue of the Australian radical paper Tocsin is published.
- October 5 – After a long siege, Brazilian government troops take Canudos in north Brazil, crushing Antônio Conselheiro and his followers.
- October 12 - The Joseon Kingdom becomes the Korean Empire, ending the Joseon era which has existed since 1392.
- December 14 – Pact of Biak-na-Bato: The Philippine Revolution is settled, with Spanish promises to reform.
- December 30 – Natal annexes Zululand.
|Dreyfus Affair||November 1894||1906|
|Bradley University||Midwestern private university|
|National University of La Plata||Public||Not to be confused with Buenos Aires University|
|World Zionist Organization|
|Title||Born||Died||Place of death||Summary|
|Henry George||2 September 1839||29 October 1897||New York||Author|
|Title||Born||Place of birth||Died||Summary||Description|
|Frederick John Partington Veale||1897||1976||Academic|
|Arthur Dean||1897||New York||1987||Lawyer|
Deep state operative
|Chairman and senior partner of Sullivan & Cromwell, where he worked closely with John Foster Dulles|
|14 August 1949||Soldier|
Deep state functionary
|Influential Swiss editor for many decades|
|William Stephenson||23 January 1897||Canada|
|31 January 1989||Spook|
|Edward Beddington-Behrens||2 February 1897||Paris||28 November 1968||Spook|
|Deputy Chief of the Secret Intelligence Service for a year during WW2. Attended the 1958 Bilderberg.|
|Ivone Kirkpatrick||3 February 1897||25 May 1964||Diplomat|
|British diplomat and spook who served as the British High Commissioner in Germany after World War II, and as the Permanent Under-Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, the highest-ranking civil servant in the Foreign Office, where he was one of the main people responsible for the failed attempt to seize the Suez Canal Zone in 1956.|
|Ludwig Erhard||4 February 1897||Fürth|
|5 May 1977||Politician||Single Bilderberg, West German Minister for Economics for 14 years during the German "economic miracle".|
|Dirk Stikker||5 February 1897||Netherlands|
|23 December 1979||Diplomat|
|Bilderberger, ex Secretary General of NATO.|
|C. J. Geddes||1 March 1897||2 May 1983||Union organizer||British trade union leader who later was knighted|
|Walter Winchell||7 April 1897||New York|
|20 February 1972||Commentator|
|Lester Pearson||23 April 1897||Canada|
|27 December 1972||Diplomat|
Deep state operative
|Triple Bilderberger Canadian PM|
|William Foster||27 April 1897||New Jersey|
|15 October 1984||Deep state functionary||Director of the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency in the 1960s|
|J. W. Beyen||2 May 1897||Netherlands|
|29 April 1976||Diplomat|
|Roscoe H. Hillenkoetter||8 May 1897||Missouri|
|18 June 1982|
|John Sinclair||29 May 1897||Fulham||22 March 1977||Spook|
|John Slessor||3 June 1897||12 July 1979||Pilot||Founder of the International Institute for Strategic Studies. Attended 2 Bilderbergs in the 1950s|
|Anthony Eden||12 June 1897||Windlestone Hall|
|14 January 1977||Politician||A UK Prime Minister who did not attend the Bilderberg, although his son did.|
|Victor Cavendish Bentinck||18 June 1897||London|
|30 July 1990||Diplomat|
Deep state operative
|Chairman of the Joint Intelligence Committee, diplomat, 7 Bilderbergs|
|Harald Knudtzon||6 July 1897||Denmark|
|26 January 1980||Financier||Single Bilderberg Danish financier|
|Manlio Brosio||10 July 1897||Italy|
|14 March 1980||Diplomat|
|The last Secretary General of NATO who was appointed before he attended the Bilderberg.|
|Thomas Dugdale||20 July 1897||26 March 1977||Politician||British Conservative Party politician|
|Niels Werring Sr||4 August 1897||Norway|
Møre og Romsdal
|19 August 1990||Shipping magnate||Father of 14 times Bilderberger Norwegian ship owner|
|Jacques de Nervo||31 August 1897||27 June 1990||Deep politician|
|Tom Williamson||2 September 1897||27 February 1983||Politician|
|Gerhard P. Th. Geyer||5 September 1897||14 February 1972||Businessperson||Esso director who attended the 1st and 4th Bilderbergs|
|Giovanni Montini||26 September 1897||Italy|
|6 August 1978||Clergy|
|Graham Towers||29 September 1897||Montreal|
|4 December 1975||Central banker|
|Charles Jocelyn Hambro||3 October 1897||1963||Spook|
|spooky UK banker. SOE head|
|Berkeley Ormerod||3 October 1897||Middlesex|
|1 November 1983||Diplomat|
|Walker Cisler||8 October 1897||Ohio|
|18 October 1994||Engineer|
|As well as the first Bilderberg, he attended the next four, and 3 more in the early 1960s, US businessman|
|Morehead Patterson||9 October 1897||Diplomat|
|US inventor who attended the February 1957 Bilderberg|
|Nathan Twining||11 October 1897||Wisconsin|
|29 March 1982||Soldier||Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff from 1957 to 1960|
|Hans Speidel||28 October 1897||Germany|
|28 November 1984||Soldier||Oversaw the smooth integration of the Bundeswehr into NATO|
|Joseph Goebbels||29 October 1897||Germany|
|1 May 1945||Politician|
|Minister of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda under Adolf Hitler|
|Richard Russell||2 November 1897||United States|
|21 January 1971||Lawyer|
|Allan Adair||3 November 1897||London|
|4 August 1988||Soldier|
|Jacobus Oldenbroek||10 November 1897||Netherlands|
|7 March 1970||Union organizer||Worked with Office of Strategic Services during WW2. Attended 2 Bilderbergs as General Secretary of the International Confederation of Free Trade Unions.|
|Aneurin Bevan||15 November 1897||Wales|
|6 July 1960|
|Andreas Aulie||17 November 1897||17 January 1990||Lawyer|
Deep state operative
|Norwegian Director of Public Prosecutions 1946-1967|
|Alfred Stern||29 November 1897||June 1986||Spook|
|Alfred Roberts||30 November 1897||18 November 1963||Union organizer||British trade unionist who attended the 1958 Bilderberg as ILO/Vice chair|
|Drew Pearson||13 December 1897||US|
|1 September 1969||Journalist|
|Jay Lovestone||15 December 1897||Moǔchadz|
|7 March 1990||Spook|
|US communist who ended up working for James Jesus Angleton|
- Diarmuid Jeffreys, Aspirin: The Remarkable Story of a Wonder Drug (Bloomsbury, 2005) p70